Replacing thermostat in freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobInOre

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I want a ferm chamber. I picked up a chest freezer with a broken thermostat. I think that's the only thing wrong with it because it was dead until I put a jumper around the thermostat at which time it came to life. I've studied some stuff on the STC-1000 and I'm sure can do that if I replace the thermostat first.

Can I get a different thermostat and skip the STC step? Perhaps one for a refrigerator instead of a freezer?

I intend to use this for lagering and long term storage of bottles. Where I live I won't ever need to heat, only cool to 35-45*f. I think this will work fine but I'm sure several houses have burned down due to other things that "should have been fine".

Could you just run it to a Johnson Controls temp controller? I have my keezer running through an analog one. They only cost around $40.

you may find that a replacement thermostat cost the same as a STC 1000, if you use the STC alls you need to do is by pass the thermostat and plug it into the STC then let it do the work

I am sure if you do a bit of looking you would be able to find a refrigerator thermostat that would work but it maybe more work then is needed

all the best and good luck

S_M

You can skip the STC, but you will need to find some kind of aftermarket temp controller to replace the failed one. I don't think you're going to find a cheaper or more accurate controller than the STC-1000. I have two of them running in chest freezers and they work great.

you may find that a replacement thermostat cost the same as a STC 1000, if you use the STC alls you need to do is by pass the thermostat and plug it into the STC then let it do the work

I am sure if you do a bit of looking you would be able to find a refrigerator thermostat that would work but it maybe more work then is needed

all the best and good luck

S_M

YES! The brain trust comes through! If you're in the neighborhood stop by for a few dozen ale samples. Or you can wait a few months and try some lager! I'm off to buy an STC-1000.

thanks guys,
rob

Back