Replacing the carbonic acid bite in a cask

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerGrylls

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been tasked with getting a special cask prepared based on an already-brewed IPA. My gripe with cask IPAs is not the flavor or aroma - it's that they lack in bite and I can only assume that's due to the effects of not having the CO2 effervescence and its carbonic acid.

Now of course, cask beer is served at fewer volumes of dissolved CO2, but I'm thinking we could increase the acid to compensate. Do you have any experience or ideas on adding acid to a finished beer to up its 'prickliness'? What type of acid would you use? Lactic, phosphoric, etc? How much? Any side effects of doing so?

Just spitballing here so, bear with me, perhaps it'd be possible to ferment said beer in cask so that it picks up the nuances of being on the wood. Then transfer the beer to a stainless keg and carbonate the crap out of it to pick up the bite, then flatten it and transfer back to cask. And re-prime to carb and replace lees?

Sounds like a major PITA but ...

I don't want to sound like I am trying to start an argument, but isn't the whole POINT of cask ale is that they bring a different experience?

I don't want to sound like I am trying to start an argument, but isn't the whole POINT of cask ale is that they bring a different experience?

I think that's a valid counterpoint. This is still pretty theoretical of course. I wonder if there's any information about a brewer purposely adding acid to a non-sour beer? I did have my hand in creating a (plastic) cask based on an existing IPA. It's essentially identical except non filtered, and cask refermented to a lower level. I just wonder if it could be less carbonated but also dance on the tongue a little more.

Back