Replacing gaskets on flip-tops; should I add yeast too?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buffman

Reaction score
My IPA in flip-top bottles is consistently and totally flat; the same beer in crown caps is nicely carbed. I think my rubber gaskets are shot (its been several weeks in the bottles at 75F+). I'm planning to replace the gaskets and re-condition. Should I also add more yeast (maybe a few grains of Safale US-05) and/or priming sugar? There is a little sediment in each - would shaking the bottles with new gaskets do the job?

No yeast, just more sugar. You could add a carb drop to each bottle to see how that does for you.

Speaking of gaskets. Anyone know where one could acquire the factory gaskets on the newer plastic topped grolsch bottles? The rubber ones work but the factory gaskets seem to be silicone based and last MUCH longer.

Speaking of gaskets. Anyone know where one could acquire the factory gaskets on the newer plastic topped grolsch bottles? The rubber ones work but the factory gaskets seem to be silicone based and last MUCH longer.

A quick Bing search found these: http://www.mcmaster.com/#99604a125/=6uenjd. Not exactly "factory" gaskets, but they look like they'd work.

I work for a company that makes custom gaskets and we've got a material that I think might work well for that. If you want, PM me your address and I'll send you a dozen of them. All I ask in return is feedback on how they're working for you from time to time.

Clint

A quick Bing search found these: http://www.mcmaster.com/#99604a125/=6uenjd. Not exactly "factory" gaskets, but they look like they'd work.

While that is close I don't think the ID would work for the flip tops. They measure out to be .325" which do stretch out a bit to fit over the nub that holds them on the top.

PM sent about custom gaskets. If they work I'll not only tell you how I like them but I may have an order.

I found also that with some of my flip tops, that if the top itself is mis shaped or chiped, it will affect the seal and carbing. I had to replace several of the tops themself.

Back