Replacing burners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don

Reaction score
I have a 2 tier system I purchased from a neighbor and want to change the burners.
I haven't been happy with them, they are too hard to get the right flame for a full boil.
The burners look a lot like the Bayou Classic "High Pressure Cast Iron Fry Burner SKU: BG12"
Which I understand is really a Low pressure burner.
I have them on adjustable 20psi regulators and don't like the performance.
(I've tried standard grill regulators and 10 psi.)

I'm looking at the http://www.tejassmokers.com/castironburners.htm LPCAST10
or the BG-14 HIGH PRESSURE CAST IRON BURNER #64494
http://www.agrisupply.com/product.asp?pn=64494&bhcd2=1283640490
The BG-14 is $30 with out the orifice.
The LPCAST is almost $100
Besides the price what is the difference in the two, they look and sound identical to me?

BTW I am keeping one of my old burners for the mash/tun.

The BG12 uses the same burner casting (ring type) as the Bayou Classic SQ-14. The burner can be run on high or low pressure propane but you must use the proper corresponding orifice either way.

The LPCAST10 is very similar, if not identical, to the BG14. The Tejas Smokers version is listed as a low pressure unit and the BG14 from Agri Supply as high pressure. It's much the same with these as with the BG12. You can run either on high or low pressure propane so long as you also use the correct orifice.

I'm surprised that you are not happy with the burners you have as my SQ-14 with an adjustable (0-10 psi) regulator performs exceptionally well for me. You mentioned that you were having trouble getting the flame height adjusted right. Are you using the regulator to adjust the flame level or doe each burner have it's own control valve? You may want to try using individual regulators for each burner before replacing them. Are you sure you have the correct orifices for the burners. They should be high pressure orifices when used with the 10 psi regulator or the adjustable (0-20 psi) regulator. I'm not a big fan of the large banjo and hurricane burners. They will work, but they consume a lot of fuel and put out much more heat than needed for even a 12 gallon batch size. OTOH, there are a lot of guys using them that like them a lot. Some people also like the multi-jet wok burners which I do not like at all. I guess it comes down to personal preference. I do know that nearly everyone is happy with their SQ-14's and so am I, which is why I don't understand why yours are not performing well.

I'm surprised that you are not happy with the burners you have as my SQ-14 with an adjustable (0-10 psi) regulator performs exceptionally well for me. You mentioned that you were having trouble getting the flame height adjusted right. Are you using the regulator to adjust the flame level or doe each burner have it's own control valve? You may want to try using individual regulators for each burner before replacing them. Are you sure you have the correct orifices for the burners. They should be high pressure orifices when used with the 10 psi regulator or the adjustable (0-20 psi) regulator.
I have seen this same burner on other setups and the seem to be doing fine.

When I got the system they had both burners plumbed to a manfold using a 30-60# regulator.

I unhooked them and ran a regulator (0-20) to each burner, thinking this will help my problem.

Orifice size is what I'm been trying to figure out. I have a set of number drills at work so on Tuesday I can find out what size I have.
What is the right orifice size for low pressure and high?

Latest posts

Back