Replacement suggestions for Caramunich II for Marzen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarolinaMatt

Reaction score
Hi All-

Brewing my first Marzen this weekend and just realizing my homebrew shop does not have caramunich II in stock.

Any suggestions to replace it?

Grain Bill: doing a 2 step decoction mash
Pislner -- 39.1%
Munich Light -- 39.1%
Vienna -- 9.2%
Aromatic -- 2.3%
Caramunich II -- 10.3%

Without the caramunich II my OG drops from 1.055 to 1.050 which I'm not as worried about as I can bump other grains, but more worried as my SRM drops from 10.38 to 5.95 without the caramunich II. Really want that nice golden/orange with slight red hues for my marzen/fest bier

Thanks!

How about bumping the pils and adding a touch of extra dark crystal, caraaroma, or chocolate/debittered

CM II is around 46L. Dingemans does a cara 20 and a cara 45. You could use the 45 if they have it. It’s not quite the same flavor, but at least you’re still using a cara malt with around the same lovibond

good to know!

Ended up going with a belgian caramunich and belgian biscuit as it's what they had to get the bread notes and color I'm shooting for.

Latest posts

Back