Replaced condenser fan in ferm chamber with higher CFM model. Problems?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marinosr

Reaction score
A question for someone with HVAC/refrigerator knowledge:

I have a commercial cooler that I use as a ferm chamber. The condenser fan assembly started making bad noise last week, so I replaced it with a fan that has higher CFM output than the old one. Is this going to put strain on the compressor or other components?

It will more than likely make changes to the operating pressures inside the refrigeration circuit. How many rpm's, amps were the first and second varied by?

Shoot, that's what I was worried about. The first fan was .2A, 2100RPM, 78CFM. The replacement fan is .25A, 2600 RPM, 105CFM.

meh, shouldn't be a problem. you may get a bit more subcooling of the refrigerant due to the higher airflow across the condenser, which normally is a benefit to the system. Is there a txv or a cap tube feeding the evap coil? THe cap tube may be a bit more finiky due to the extra subcooling, but the txv should handle it.

Thanks for the feedback. It is a capillary tube system so I'll be on the lookout for problems, but if something comes up, my plan is just to put some masking tape over the fan to restrict airflow a bit.

I'm loath to put more money into this system, as it was a former Red Bull merchandizing cooler that I got off of Craigslist for $20, and the fan itself cost $20.

I figure with such a light duty cycle it shouldn't complain too much.

The whole goal of the condenser is to get the vapor temperature down in the neighborhood of ambient room temperature, and more airflow isn't going to result in lower-than-ambient temperature. And the capillary tube is on the other side of the system - I wouldn't think there'd be any effect possible there from a little extra airflow over the condenser...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back