Repitching Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greyghost

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed a Imperial Oatmeal Stout OG was 1.103 it is now down to 1.060 and pretty much done. I am going to to repitch some yeast. Should I oxygenate? I use pure oxygen with a .5 micron stone.

Refactometer using the correction factor.

Personally I don't trust refractometers, so I advise you to take an hydrometer reading. Many like using refractometers and don't have problems. I assume, when you say correction factor, you mean you pulled up a program and input both your OG and FG readings and the program calculated the final SG.

To answer your question, I would not oxygenate the wort. The O2 is required for the yeast to reproduce. With 5.5% alcohol, they will not be doing much of that. What you want to do is make a 1 gallon starter, oxygenate that to get the yeast population up, and then pitch into beer when actively fermenting.

You could agitate the yeast, to get it back into suspension, then warm it all a bit. This might get the yeast going again.

Back