Repitching 1728 to/from Boubon Barrel Porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which should I brew first?

• Brew the Porter first and repitch to the Sweet Stout.

• Brew the Sweet Stout first and repitch to the Porter.

• Don't repitch, use Nottingham with the Stout.

Results are only viewable after voting.

dlm3

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm planning on brewing a Sweet Stout (dressing it up to be my "Caramel Macchiato Stout") and a Bourbon Barrel Porter for my next brews. I bought Danstar Nottingham for the Stout and Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale for the bourbon porter, but was thinking that the 1728 yeast might be better than the Nottingham with my Stout as well. I'm new to home brewing, but was considering repitching the yeast from the first batch into the second. I'm planning on letting the porter age for about 6-8 months before drinking, so I would like to get that one started before my stout (also since I just bottled my first brew and would like to time it so that the stout is ready around the time I run out of this batch.)

The issue is that I've read that you don't want to pitch yeast from a higher-gravity brew to a lower gravity one. The porter has an OG of 1.065 and the stout is 1.045. Do you think that they are close enough that it would be okay to do the porter first, or should I brew the stout first?
Also, would sanitation be even more of a concern if the porter gets the repitched yeast since it will be aged for so long?

Any thoughts about this would be greatly appreciated! I'm also open to thoughts on whether the 1728 or Nottingham would be better in my Sweet (Coffee) Stout.

Thanks,
-D.L.

Either yeast would be fine but why not brew the lower gravity first then the higher? I do like to use 1728 in lower temp's than nottingham though, what fermentation temp are you planning on?

Fermentation temps will likely be in the 59-66 degree range.

I could do the stout first, but I'd prefer to wait on my Scottish Ale to finish and pretty much be gone before I have the stout ready to drink. There's also the issue of me being a little worried about messing the porter up since a good amount of time and money are going into it.

Either yeast will be fine at that temp and I wouldn't hesitate to re-use the yeast after the 1.065 for a 1.045OG beer, they are both pretty heavy beers anyway. If you get up around 1.090ish you may not want to use it for lower gravity (Some people like to baby their yeast, not stress it etc, etc) , . . . . . .I probably would, . .. . . . but I'm a kook.:mug: Yeast is a great survivor and warrior;)

I would personally use the 1728 for both beers if you can. I used it for a bourbon barrel ale that turned out to be the best beer I have ever tasted... and that's after only 2 months of aging. I fermented at 68 degs for one week (down to 1.015 from 1.093) and then one week at around 45-50 degs and had very good results.

HawksBrewer said:
I would personally use the 1728 for both beers if you can. I used it for a bourbon barrel ale that turned out to be the best beer I have ever tasted... and that's after only 2 months of aging. I fermented at 68 degs for one week (down to 1.015 from 1.093) and then one week at around 45-50 degs and had very good results.

Wow, that's quite the attenuation, 84%! Why was your OG so high? The kit says it should be 1.065, did you doctor yours up, or use a different recipe/kit?

Didn't use a kit for it, got the idea for the style from a kit I saw online though. Needless to say I was shocked when I took the FG reading. I was praying for at least 1.025 and when I saw the hydro drop down I knew I was in for something good. Don't have the recipe on hand (it's at home on my comp) but it was pretty heavy... long story short I would go with the 1728 for the porter and the stout.

Back