Removing sulfur from finished, carbonated beer, in keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtstrider

Reaction score
Hey all! I have a cream ale that is full of Sulfur and I'm looking for an easy way to remove this from the whole keg. The beer is already carbonated and keg conditioned. I've been reading on using copper to remove this. My question is would it be safe to tie a sanitized copper brillo pad to some string and just dunk that in the beer for a few minutes moving it up and down or would a clean sanitized piece of a copper pipe do the same? I've read this can oxidize the beer which is why I figured putting something on a string and gently moving it up and down through the beer would be less agitation than getting a copper pipe and stirring the beer. The other thing is I've read this can make you sick in finished/carbonated beer. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I had some yeast-derived sulphur in a bottled batch a little while ago. Time did wonders in reducing it over a couple months, until it hit a plateau. Then after forgetting about it for another couple months it was gone. Totally gone. It's a really delicious SMaSH now.

I had some yeast-derived sulphur in a bottled batch a little while ago. Time did wonders in reducing it over a couple months, until it hit a plateau. Then after forgetting about it for another couple months it was gone. Totally gone. It's a really delicious SMaSH now.

We’re the bottles cold conditioned for that time or were they at room temp until the sulfur was gone?

I do have an idea of pushing a piece of copper pipe into the serving end of a picnic tap for this beer (think bottle filler) and just using that until this keg is kicked

We’re the bottles cold conditioned for that time or were they at room temp until the sulfur was gone?

I do have an idea of pushing a piece of copper pipe into the serving end of a picnic tap for this beer (think bottle filler) and just using that until this keg is kicked

Room temp until they hit that plateau. Then I put a dozen in the fridge and the rest in the cool basement. Both the chilled and cellared cleared their sulphur.

Back