Removing Legs from Bayou Burner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reuliss

Reaction score
Can someone tell me what the cheapest, safest way there is to remove the legs from these bayou classic burners for incorporation into a brew stand?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000291GBQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I have metal cutting blades for a hand held circular saw and a miter saw, but neither seems to be the right tool. I see that there are metal cutting attachments for a Dremmel (which I also own), but that tool I'm not sure is strong enough for this gig. I'd rather not buy a new power tool if I can help it. Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
A dremmel cutoff disk will do it, but you'll likely go through several before finishing the job. My go-to would be an angle grinder.

You could do it with a hack saw pretty quickly and painlessly. You can get a hack saw from harbor freight or similar for cheap.

Hack saw.
images
If you don't use it as an excuse to get another power tool.

Before I did that, I would strongly consider dropping $14 on a Harbor Freight angle grinder. If your time is worth $14 per hour, you would be ahead of the game.

honestly... i did mine with an angle grinder.
maybe 10 seconds a leg = a minute total.
hack saw 60-120 seconds a leg = pain... haha
the lazy bastard in me says angle grinder... but then again i love power tools.

Ditto on the cheap angle grinder. You don't need a large one--the 4-1/2" units are cheap, and grinding & cutting wheels are only a couple bucks a pop. Use that to cut off the legs in seconds then put on a grinding wheel to remove the burrs.

BansheeRider said:
Using power tools are more fun while drinking beer :mug:

I went with the dremmel option. Cut through a lot easier than I had expected!

for ten bucks more you can get the SQ-14 which is only held on by a machine screw

Last edited by a moderator:
Back