Removing labels from glasses

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBrewGoose

Reaction score
I got some pint glasses for free with Sierra Nevada logo printed on them. I don't like drinking beer in a glass that has a label and the beer doesnt match it (maybe im just weird haha).

How can I remove it? Its been in chlorine for almost 2 hours and no way its coming off. Maybe its burned in the glass or something. Any tricks or is it a no go?

If it's paint you can try a few things. I've successfully removed painted on logos from bottles using a very strong starsan solution or Hydrochloric Acid, Acid 5, etc. Caution is suggested.

Please note that even with the paint removed, sometimes there is a shadow of a logo remaining as the painting process sometimes involves etching the glass slightly to get the paint to adhere.

Personally I'd prefer the SN logo to a glass that has a hint of some logo. It just looks ugly. I have many pint glasses with all kinds of brewery logos. It's like a collection, but don't tell my wife that.

I have never had any success removing emblems from glasses, though I have not tried often. Paint remover might work?? Keep all those toxic chemicals on the outside of the glass!!!

just soak them in the sink or tub.. with really hot water.. most label just float off..
if that doesnt work.. drain and add more hot water with some degrease type dishwash soap.. (ie.... DAWN)
if that doesnt work.. now the labels are really soaked.. just scrape off with a fresh razor blade.. (CAUTION SHARP.. )

These methods.. have normally worked just fine.. if anything.. your left with the gummy glue left behind which can easily be scraped off

Last resort.. : Toss the bottles... and get more from friends..

Yeah a hint of a logo is definetaly ugly. But the logo is a printed label. I can feel it when I touch it. Im kind of OCD with glasses matching with my drink haha so having 8 pints with SN logo will annoy the heck out of me so i will probably only use them with SN beer.

Ive been looking for this type of glasses for weeks and these were the only ones available.

Crap. Not good news. As of now my glasses are in chlorine/starsan mixture. Hopefully that will work

Most are printed with some type of very industrial ink/paint so that they can be put in the dishwasher for years without the logo coming off. Good luck.

ColeVet67 - these are glasses with inked on logos not bottles with paper labels.

I don't know if there is dollar tree where you live, but they have a pretty nice selection of beer glasses there for a dollar each, why not just get new ones?

Not sure what a dollar tree is

But i dont live in the US and ive been looking for a specific type of a pint glass for a really long time and it looks like they arent available in my country. I contacted a company that imports SN beer and they had a few left over glasses in stock that they werent using.

The glass with the logo: http://m.ebay.com/itm/360908478942?_mwBanner=1

haha Oh, sorry I wasn't sure if you were in the US or not, Dollar Tree is a discount store here in the states, where everything in the store costs $1

Good luck getting the paint off at any rate cheers :mug:

I think this comes down to what is my time worth. If it is going to be more than a couple minutes per glass, just opt and buy new ones. The local Target has a set of 6 for about $15.

But i dont live in the US and ive been looking for a specific type of a pint glass for a really long time and it looks like they arent available in my country. I contacted a company that imports SN beer and they had a few left over glasses in stock that they werent using.

LOL, I've got dozens of those glasses, at least a dozen of them with the SN logo. Don't think any of the logos have ever worn off.
BTW, among beer geeks, it's considered passe to actually drink beer from that style glass (known as shaker pints)
(not that I care - drink from a solo cup if you want.)

I'd guess that you're going to have to bust out the big guns to get that paint off. Most of that kind of glass paint is cured at high-ish temperatures - I'd try lacquer thinner or some similar thing. Just be sure to wash it well afterward!

LOL, I've got dozens of those glasses, at least a dozen of them with the SN logo. Don't think any of the logos have ever worn off.
BTW, among beer geeks, it's considered passe to actually drink beer from that style glass (known as shaker pints)
(not that I care - drink from a solo cup if you want.)

Haha i know. They're not available in my country. Those glasses just remind me of good times in the states so its mostly just a nostalgic thing.

I think this comes down to what is my time worth. If it is going to be more than a couple minutes per glass, just opt and buy new ones. The local Target has a set of 6 for about $15.

I would if i could get them where i live. But no bueno :(

That must be the most common, boring glass around here. I don't think I own ANY that are plain. Except for that one I accidentally left soaking. I think the logo is almost all gone now.

I have a hard time believing you can't find the most common bar glass in English-speaking countries. I don't even keep those on the "Beer Glass" shelf. We have a whole cabinet filled with them in the kitchen for everyday drinking glasses.

Where you at? Don't you have access to Amazon.com or Ebay?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009ZRTNYI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
You could try using a sharp razor blade to scrape/chip the paint off, this shouldn't scratch the glass if done properly. Might help if you soak it in paint stripper or something first to loosen the paint up.

Looking at the Ebay link got me thinking that maybe you could just sell them to someone who really wants the SN logo and hopefully make enough cash to buy some plain ones?

Check out the "Dollar Store" if you have one in your area.
I bought a lot of beer glasses and a few heavy 24 oz glass mugs.
As the name tells you, they're a buck apiece.

Edited... oops. should have read from the beginning.

Anything you do will leave you with a glass that is uglier than what you have now. Ironically, SN is one of the few breweries that I don't have a glass from. Some store near you must have plain glasses, or if not, try the internet. Good luck.:mug:

I've had success using a paint gun. Burn the paint until it is bubbling then leave it to cool. Scrape off the paint once it's cooled and good to go. :mug:

Thanks for the link... I hope the $14.98 was for a set!

TIL that not only am I not a "beer geek", but I'm passè as well.

:ban:

WHAT!?!?!?! You mean don't exclusively drink from the proper glassware for each style, and only from the brewer of the beer you're drinking??? Then you're not getting the full appreciation of the beer. I mean, it makes for a heck of a lot of glasses sitting around, and sometimes you have to either pass up a beer because you don't have the right glass, or wait to get the glass before you can drink the beer, but that how EVERYONE* does it. :ban::ban::p:p

*everyone that has way more time and energy than is good for them, that is...

really, I'm sort of making fun of the BeerAdvocate people, who insist that the only thing that should be consumed from those shakers is water.
Really, it's not important, you can drink from a solo cup, or even direct from the bottle / can if that's what you want.

Only luck I've ever had removing "etched" paint from glass is in the dishwasher. And of course, the only time I've ever had that work was on my Alchemist glass :mad:

WHAT!?!?!?! You mean don't exclusively drink from the proper glassware for each style, and only from the brewer of the beer you're drinking??? Then you're not getting the full appreciation of the beer. I mean, it makes for a heck of a lot of glasses sitting around, and sometimes you have to either pass up a beer because you don't have the right glass, or wait to get the glass before you can drink the beer, but that how EVERYONE* does it. :ban::ban::p:p

*everyone that has way more time and energy than is good for them, that is...

really, I'm sort of making fun of the BeerAdvocate people, who insist that the only thing that should be consumed from those shakers is water.
Really, it's not important, you can drink from a solo cup, or even direct from the bottle / can if that's what you want.

Feel free to make fun of me and my thread but im just asking a simple question. And ive said a few times: i cant get these glasses where im from (believe it or not). And its mostly nostalgic.

Feel free to make fun of my thread but im just asking a simple question. And ive said a few times: i cant get these glasses where im from (believe it or not). And its mostly nostalgic.

He wasn't making fun of your thread. He was riffing on my reply to his first post, which was a poke at other people, not you.

:mug:

Meriatic acid which is basically 10% hydrochloric acid. Will eat anything off glass

You mean muriatic acid? We used to use that to clean bricks for bricklaying...

Feel free to make fun of me and my thread but im just asking a simple question. And ive said a few times: i cant get these glasses where im from (believe it or not). And its mostly nostalgic.
He wasn't making fun of your thread. He was riffing on my reply to his first post, which was a poke at other people, not you.

:mug:

That's exactly right - and BrewGoose, I apologize if it appeared that I was making fun of you - I assure you I wasn;t - and I should remember that joking around doesn't often come through on these boards.
I don't know where you're from, but generally here in The States, that sort of glass is more than common - the vast majority of bars and restaurants use them, and you can always get them free at tastings.
The problem in your case is that they always have logos on them.
If you have some sort of home furnishings store around, like Bed, Bath and Beyond, Crate & Barrel, and the like, you can get them blank -
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...-cooler-set-of-12/1013089990?categoryId=12125
As it is, I don't know that the ink / paint on them will come off very easily. You've tried just about everything that most of us will think of, Maybe try paint thinner, acetone or something, that's about the last thing I can think of.

Yes sorry autocorrect on iPhone wouldn't let me sell it correct. I am a concrete guy and we use it for exposed aggregate. If the retarder didn't work it will strip the top layer. My dad actually uses it to clean the line scaling off his boat so thought I would give it a try. I wouldn't use anything stronger then 10% though and wear gloves. It's obviously corrosive.

Back