Removing freezer compartment from fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dttk0009

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I moved countries back in 2012 and sold all of my homebrewing equipemnt in the process, as it was too expensive to ship everything over.

I've been getting the itch to brew again, although after having successfully built a kegerator, I can't go back to bottling. I'm in possession of a small fridge that I no longer need for anything and I'd like to use it for my kegerator.

It does have a little freezer compartment. I looked around a bit for instructions on how to remove them, but it seems this one's a bit different than the ones shown in examples. The fridge model is a Severin KS 9839.

The freezer compartment itself appears to be entirely out of plastic. After carefully prodding around a bit, it seems that the bottom part facing the inner part of the fridge is made up of 2 plastic layers with about 1-2 inches of insulation foam in the middle.

Here is my question: Are there other freezer models where the cooling circuit doesn't run through the compartment itself? In all of the examples it looked like the freezer was simply a thin, metal compartment.

Also, would it be safe to try and remove the freezer compartment? I'd have to cut the plastic and insulation away.

Back