Removing carboy from chamber once fermentation is complete?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mordhaus

Reaction score
Bear with me, I'll try not to ramble.

I have a chest freezer that I use as a fermentation chamber. It will hold two carboys. I normally leave my brews in the chamber at a yeast happy temp from start to finish. So far, this has been enough to keep up with the rate I brew.

I'm ramping up my schedule soon with four consecutive brews, one every other weekend. This won't allow me to keep the beers in the chamber, cool and cozy, from start to finish.

Once fermentation is complete, any harm in pulling them out of the chamber after two weeks to finish up their sentence in the house?

I can keep the carboys dark and quiet, but being in Texas, we keep the house at 78 during the day. Thoughts?

Ive been doing this also. Floridian here. Ive been wondering the same. Any sacrifice of quality with this? I usually.leave mine in the chamber for 2 weeks and then room temp for a week.

Once the beer is at FG temperature is really no longer an issue as you are just clearing and to some degree conditioning so ramp up your schedule and enjoy!
:mug:

Actually it is a good idea to raise the temperature after about 3/4 of the way through initial fermentation. Once the majority of simple sugars are gone the yeast will not produce off flavors. This raises the metabolic activity of the yeast cells and helps to clean up any off flavors produced. It also helps with attenuation.

Yep I've left a batch of Pliny out after fermentation was complete and it got up to the 80s for sure and it was delicious, no side effects that I could taste, although it was a hop bomb so that covers a lot of the imperfections I guess...

Latest posts

Back