Removing adhesive residue from sticker style labels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadWolfOregon

Reaction score
I'm not exactly certain of the best place to ask this, so I came here. :)

I have acquired a large amount of bottles from a local craft brewer. Some of them are unlabeled, which is awesome. The ones that ARE labeled have a sticker style label that is similar to tyvek or the like. You can peel them off (since they're plastic there's no point in soaking first), but 9 times out of 10 they leave a very tenacious adhesive residue. I've soaked them in OxyClean and TSP, but neither of those options even touch it. I've tried scraping it but it's a fools errand.

Is there a good way to get this crap off?

I find these are more trouble than they are worth. Recycle them and buy/find some beer with easier-to-remove labels, is what I'd do.

Could try rubbing alcohol. Put some in a spray bottle, soak the adhesive in alcohol every five minutes for about four rounds and the adhesive should come off pretty easy.

Go to Lowes, Home Depot or Menards, trust me, Acetone will fix your problem quickly over all of the other suggestions. Just double wash the **** out of the bottles and you'll be fine

GoofOff in the yellow can will work great just have plenty of ventilation because the fumes will get you loopy pretty quick.

Goo Gone and WD-40 are all solid choices. They don't evaporate quickly, so allow you to work a bit more leisurely. However, they require significant washing to clean up after. (Oily residue)

Acetone will leave no residue, but evaporates quickly, so will require you to work quickly.

If you don't have any of those, and need to buy one, go with the acetone.

GOO GONE!!!

GooGone-4oz.aspx;php

My vote is to drink more beer and use other bottles. If I can't get labels off with 1 Oxi soak, I recycle the bottle.

If that label is stuck on there so well you could just place your label over the top of it. If your label is smaller. Make some bigger ones for these bottles.

Back