Removing a broken tap from aluminum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDBob

Reaction score
I posted this in another thread, but I'm so impressed with this technique that I feel it should be shared with the entire DIY community.
IMG_20180201_121851270.jpg

Say just hypothetically, you're tapping holes in aluminum, and you're too thirsty to think straight, you may end up breaking a tap.

Removing a broken and embedded 8-32 tungsten carbide tap from aluminum can be a treat.

Last year I watched a YouTube video from a user named Ave, a brilliant and rather funny shop kind of guy and worth looking up. He showed a technique to remove broken drills and taps from aluminum using a chemical called "alum". It's used for pickling. I bought some from eBay just to have it on hand in my War chest. Glad I did.

A few hours in a solution of as much alum would dissolve and boiling water, and the tap DISSOLVED leaving the aluminum unharmed. Make sure you use an aluminum pot LOL. I'm going to buy some more, and suggest any and all DIY guys consider having some on hand just in case.

Last edited:
Call me politically incorrect... that guy cracks me up. And the technical knowledge locked in his head is truly impressive. There should be a doctorate of mechanical systems. Most PhD types I know can't hang a shelve.

Back