Remote control overload

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corkybstewart

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm an old guy and I need tech help. I live out in the middle of nowhere and have Direct TV and satellite internet. My wife wanted Netflix and I had to get an Amazon Fire Stick because for some reason our TV's are too old and not compatible. So now I have remotes for Direct, the TV, and Fire Stick. I turn on the TV and Direct Tv with the Direct remote,, then I have to go to the TV remote to change the signal source from HDMI 1-HDMI 4 to get to Fire Stick, then I can choose Netflix with the Amazon remote. Not a problem for me, but my wife is gonna complain endlessly about having to go through so many steps. Not to mention trying to keep 3 remotes handy. Are there any simple solutions?

If they are all infrared remotes, get a programmable universal remote. I have a Harmony 880 (no longer made) that has served me well for several years across different system configurations, and can be programmed to switch various components on or off and change input when changing from source to another. So, there are separate buttons for live TV, DVD, Roku, etc. Choosing any one is a one button press.

I haven't had DirectTV in quite a while, but you might check whether its remote can be programmed to operate the other components.

agree on the harmony remote being the best universal i've used.
it will complicate your life when it comes to setting it up, but will simplify your use after its configured.

I'm an old guy and I need tech help. I live out in the middle of nowhere and have Direct TV and satellite internet. My wife wanted Netflix and I had to get an Amazon Fire Stick because for some reason our TV's are too old and not compatible. So now I have remotes for Direct, the TV, and Fire Stick. I turn on the TV and Direct Tv with the Direct remote,, then I have to go to the TV remote to change the signal source from HDMI 1-HDMI 4 to get to Fire Stick, then I can choose Netflix with the Amazon remote. Not a problem for me, but my wife is gonna complain endlessly about having to go through so many steps. Not to mention trying to keep 3 remotes handy. Are there any simple solutions?

With some effort, you can integrate all of those remotes into one simple one, but it's not trivial if you're a non-tech.

If you want to go forward, I'd suggest a Harmony remote. Get one without a screen*, like their "companion" model, and one that has the hub. I've got this and I can stream through my Apple TV box, or watch cable, etc with a single button press. That one press turns on TV and sets it to the appropriate HDMI input, sets up my AV receiver to route video and audio to surround speakers, turns on cable box, Apple TV box, etc. It's actually pretty easy to get it all working, but you must understand how these all of these connections work.

The Harmony remote doesn't actually send the codes to your devices - the HUB does. So, you program the HUB to understand your system. To do this, there's an app that you download onto a smart phone or tablet, then you use that app to set up the hub through wifi. Sounds techy, I know, but it works well once you get your head wrapped around it.

*I've been through a lot of universal remotes, and I have grown to HATE the ones with screens.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N3RFC4G/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_BoN8Db31Q32BE

upload_2019-12-12_12-7-0.png

Last edited:
Hopefully they have made a lot of progress in the last decade when I last had a Harmony remote but I hated mine. It was difficult to setup and inconsistent in its control of just a TV, Comcast cablebox, and Denon stereo. Finally I ended up with a Comcast cablebox remote which would control all three of those devices and dumped the Harmony (actually gave it to a friend who wanted to try it out who later asked me if I wanted it back--I didn't).

I still need two remotes as I now have a Roku plugged into the TV which needs its own remote but it is simple enough to use both that my wife doesn't mind.

Just wait till you hook up the home theater system, the blue ray player, and a CD player.

Then you'll need a remote the size of a 4x8 sheet of plywood.

Just wait till you hook up the home theater system, the blue ray player, and a CD player.

Then you'll need a remote the size of a 4x8 sheet of plywood.

The days of physical media are coming to a close. I tossed my CD player years ago. I do have a bluray, but it's surely been a year or more since I used it. Anyway, the solution above will do what you're suggesting. It is why I have it.

The days of physical media are coming to a close. I tossed my CD player years ago. I do have a bluray, but it's surely been a year or more since I used it. Anyway, the solution above will do what you're suggesting. It is why I have it.

:confused::eek: ... I'm going to have to.....ditch my 8track? My reel to reel?! My wax cylinders?!!?!

I'm fairly sure the Firestick uses Bluetooth for remote control, not infrared.
My Harmony remotes don't do Bluetooth, but maybe there are models that do...

Cheers!

I'm fairly sure the Firestick uses Bluetooth for remote control, not infrared.
My Harmony remotes don't do Bluetooth, but maybe there are models that do...

Cheers!

That remote I linked can get to the Fire Stick through wifi. At least, that's what the reviewers say. I have a firestick on another TV but I don't use this remote for that one.

I keep all the remotes I need in one place, one pile.
My wife keeps all the remotes in one place, being the last place the last remote was last used when walking to another room to answer the phone or pick something up.
It is an amusing relationship.

I thought by now we were all supposed to be able to ask Alex to get the NSA to play what we wanted on which TV in which room of the house...
You can ask, but since the robots became sentient she might not give you what you want, because you aren't meeting HER needs.

Here's a different solution.

Change Direct tv to Direct tv now (DTV over the internet for $50 or so per month) or sling, hulu live, etc.

Get a Roku Ultra. All of your streaming (Netflix, etc.) can be controlled via the Roku and the Roku remote will control your tv. You can also put a Roku app on your phone and use your phone like a remote.

We got the Roku Ultra. Like anything, it's a learning curve but it's made life SO much easier.

All the Best,
D. White

and here i HAVE to get up and switch stuff on, or off....i hate phantom power draws, my electric bill went from $80's to $60's when i started this practice.....

Here's a different solution.

Change Direct tv to Direct tv now (DTV over the internet for $50 or so per month) or sling, hulu live, etc.
2 issues. First my Direct TV is only $50. Second my satellite internet service is "unlimited data" but the provider has the right to slow my service after 100 gb. I live 15 miles from a small town at the end of a dirt road and there's no other internet available.

Back