Remember when...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nearly 2 years... Bump!

backintheday-28.jpg

Just bought a 128GB micro SD card for $40. My first computer came with a 40MB hard drive. I'm going on vacation and am going to shove a bunch of movies and music on there.

A microSD card is ridiculously small/thin, about the size of my pinky fingernail, and not much thicker. The cool thing about these little cards is that there are adapters to get them into other formats, like USB drive (for plugging into a laptop), CF card (for plugging into many cameras like my Canon), and even synaptic-stick, which allows you to plug it into your ear and improve your own memory. Pretty nifty. I made that last part up, but I assume nobody gets this far in a post like this. I'm really just entertaining myself, so it's OK.

Just bought a 128GB micro SD card for $40. My first computer came with a 40MB hard drive. I'm going on vacation and am going to shove a bunch of movies and music on there.

A microSD card is ridiculously small/thin, about the size of my pinky fingernail, and not much thicker. The cool thing about these little cards is that there are adapters to get them into other formats, like USB drive (for plugging into a laptop), CF card (for plugging into many cameras like my Canon), and even synaptic-stick, which allows you to plug it into your ear and improve your own memory. Pretty nifty. I made that last part up, but I assume nobody gets this far in a post like this. I'm really just entertaining myself, so it's OK.

We started a computer business in Clearwater (Gulf to Bay and Court St) and sold Seagate ST225 20MB hard drives for $700!! Yeah, that is a "remember when" moment! :rockin:

Remember when....no ATM's, you actually got a paper paycheck, you needed stamps to pay your bills, [snip]
Beer has improved though....

[edited by PP]

I wonder how far 128 giggle bites would go in the human mind...

your first computer had a hdd, LUXURY....:ban:

My memories are mostly defined by the computer stuff I had. No matter how badass my current gaming pc gets, for some reason it never feels as awesome as when I first started rocking an AMD K6-2 with voodoo 2 graphics card.

Remember when Labatt's came in these and tasted good? Long before the days of the individual bottle tax, I mean returnable deposit. Wish they still came in these.

8393017455_1aa3476b7a_b.jpg

This made me happy. :)

Thanks for posting it!

The Dickies covered it back in the 90's (I think):

That song comes from a whole CD of covers - the Ramones do the Spider-Man theme song, Face to Face does the Popeye song, the Violent Femmes do Eep-Opp-Ork-Ah-Ah, from the Jetsons, etc.

Remember when MTV actually played music videos all day? I would call that the Youtube of my childhood, but without the search function. ;)

I don't think this one was mentioned, nor could I find it searching the thread.

Edit/Note - Just started reading back through the thread and there on post #7 MTV is mentioned. Damn search this thread for "MTV" returned nothing... What the heck???

We had MTV Classic for a little while earlier this year. It was awesome - nothing but videos from the old days.

LOL, I was gonna say -- my first computer had 4K (that's right kids, 4096 bytes) and I had to save to a cassette tape. I think it cost $600 too! (Which was real money back in 1978!)

And I learned to program with punch cards. Had to stand around waiting for the computer ops to run the job and bring out your output. Rinse and repeat if you had errors (usually.)

Brew on :mug:

How about when a cup of coffee was a dime?

My dad ran a gas station/convenience store until 2009 and still sold his coffee for a dime. He said he still made a slim profit but he drew a lot of repeat customers who always bought something else also.

I haven't thought about the punch computers in a long time. They were before my time, but I was in a science club in high school and someone donated a Facom for us to dissect.

Back