Relearning an old hobby

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wilemon8

Reaction score
Hello all!!

I was a homebrew hobbyist years ago but got out of it just as I was dipping into All grain brewing. Now, I'm starting over, equipment wise, and re-entering the homebrew community. I'm probably headed in the BIAB direction. I'm here to find advice and ideas on setups and equipment, as well as recipes. Looking forward to being a part of the crowd!!

Welcome back!

Opinions will vary(!)

I suggest BIAB (just a 8-10G kettle on kitchen stove, if stove/ space accommodates). And an all-rounder fermzilla to ferment (with a CO2 tank to transfer). If you don't want to deal with CO2 tanks, a Fermonster fermenter of whatever size batch you want to brew is a good option.

If you have a basement/cellar with regular temps in the 60's, you're off to a good start.

Fruity-zesty flavors tend to ferment above 66F; cleaner, crisper flavors below 66F (very broad strokes).

There are a lot more options these days for all in one systems. Not sure what your budget is but there are cheaper options available too. I just recently jumped from propane to an electric all in one system and so far I'm not regretting anything.

If you are going from 5 gallon to 2.5 gallon, you can basically cut the recipe in half and then tweak from there as needed to get to the specs you are looking for. Beersmith or another software can help you scale recipes or just enter 1/2 of the original amounts. I've been using Beersmith and also gives me a good initial direction for BIAB mash volumes etc, which I then adjust as needed.

I've recently move into doing AG stove top BIAB batches and am learning as I go, but that is how I have been reducing batches initially and it seems to be working. I might get an 8 gallon kettle someday, but to start I have just been using the same basic equipment I used for extract plus a bag and a strainer.

And welcome back

There are a lot more options these days for all in one systems. Not sure what your budget is but there are cheaper options available too. I just recently jumped from propane to an electric all in one system and so far I'm not regretting anything.
I've thought about the electric all in one. I'm assuming it's a little easier to control temps and whatnots?

I've thought about the electric all in one. I'm assuming it's a little easier to control temps and whatnots?

I switched to a Brewzilla. The key advantages for me are (1) mobility - I got the 110v version so i plug it in anywhere (basement, garage, deck, friend's house, etc.) and (2) programmable times and temps - it's not quite set-it-&-forget-it, but it frees me up to do other prep & cleaning instead of hovering over the kettle the whole time.

I like it, but I wouldn't rush into any expensive equipment purchases. Get re-acquainted with the process. Figure out what parts you do/don't like. And make sure you enjoy the hobby enough that you will keep doing it long enough to justify any bigger purchases.

For new brewers, I usually advise them to start cheap. Learn the basics on cheap equipment, and then you'll be in a better position to make better/smarter purchases later that fit your preferences after you have brewed awhile.

Last edited:
For me switching to an all in one system streamlined my process and also created less of a footprint for my gear. Plus now with the prices of propane going way up, it might be a lot cheaper too.
Not only does it hold mash Temps well but also ability to circulate during mash. It holds Whirlpool temps and mine came with a whirlpool arm as well, so it's nice.

I switched to a Brewzilla. The key advantages for me are (1) mobility - I got the 110v version so i plug it in anywhere (basement, garage, deck, friend's house, etc.) and (2) programmable times and temps - it's not quite set-it-&-forget-it, but it frees me up to do other prep & cleaning instead of hovering over the kettle the whole time.

I like it, but I wouldn't rush into any expensive equipment purchases. Get re-acquainted with the process. Figure out what parts you do/don't like. And make sure you enjoy the hobby enough that you will keep doing it long enough to justify any bigger purchases.

For new brewers, I usually advise them to start cheap. Learn the basics on cheap equipment, and then you'll be in a better position to make better/smarter purchases later that fit your preferences after you have brewed awhile.
I'm a new brewer and I can already hear the call of all grain. Your advice about starting basic and cheap makes sense, but I have a few challenges that make me think eventually going right to an all-in-one electric system is the correct answer for me. I have a bad electric oven that takes forever to boil two gallons for an extract recipe. I don't want to brew in the garage during the winter because I live in a very cold climate. I get that I'd be missing out on learning part of the process if I go to an electric brewing system right away, but I might actually save some money in the long run by not buying equipment I won't use once I make the switch to electric. Does that make sense?

@SaisonMan - Makes sense. If you've already brewed enough to be planning out your year-round brewing, I think you're in far enough to make some equipment decisions. 😀

Most people just have a good-enough stovetop to use for awhile while they figure how much they do or don't like the hobby.

@SaisonMan - Makes sense. If you've already brewed enough to be planning out your year-round brewing, I think you're in far enough to make some equipment decisions. 😀
I’m not in that far yet, but I’m enjoying it immensely. And my wife has encouraged me, which is huge.

Most people just have a good-enough stovetop to use for awhile while they figure how much they do or don't like the hobby.

Back