Rehydrating Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyoun1e

Reaction score
Seems to be mixed opinions on whether rehydrating dried yeast is necessary. Everything I've read/watched indicates that you limit the amount of yeast cells by not rehydrating.

Questions:

1. Necessary? This is my first batch I'm doing and I have a dried packet.

2. Sanitize? Should I dump the packet in a sanitized solution?

3. Rehydrating Instructions: Do I have this right:

* Sanitize scissors, thermometer, spoon, tin foil, yeast packet.
* Take yeast out of fridge and bring to room temperature.
* Bring 3/4 cup of water to a boil.
* Pour 1/2 cup of water into a sanitized jar/cup.
* Cover with foil, put sanitized thermometer in jar, cool to 100-105 degrees.
* Sprinkle yeast on top of water.
* Cover for 15 minutes.
* Stir with sanitized spoon until creamy texture.
* Let sit for 5 minutes.
* Add some cool water to bring down into wort temperature range. (Does this need to be boiled water that was cooled in fridge? Assume yes).
* Pitch the yeast.

I'd also add that rehydrating the yeast would probably make it easier to pour into the carboy. Could see dried yeast getting stuck to funnel or being problematic as I pour it into small carboy hole.

Thanks!

You can sprinkle in the yeast. It is often quoted that the harsh environment of the wort will kill as much as half of the cells forcing them to spend energy to reproduce to cell counts enough to ferment the wort. If you rehydrate in water which is easier on the cell walls you are pitching healthier yeast and they can go right into fermentation.

I just use tap water, which I feel is plenty sanitary, at 95 to 100. By the time I pitch it is close enough to the wort temperature that I don't add any cool water, but it is not a bad idea.

You can sprinkle in the yeast. It is often quoted that the harsh environment of the wort will kill as much as half of the cells forcing them to spend energy to reproduce to cell counts enough to ferment the wort. If you rehydrate in water which is easier on the cell walls you are pitching healthier yeast and they can go right into fermentation.

I just use tap water, which I feel is plenty sanitary, at 95 to 100. By the time I pitch it is close enough to the wort temperature that I don't add any cool water, but it is not a bad idea.

Seems to me that rehydrating can't hurt and can certainly help. Don't see much downside here.

Assume my instructions are good.

One other thing: Is anyone paranoid like me and feel like they need a "backup yeast" handy?

I mean...yeast seems super important...if that yeast gets fouled up for whatever reason I'm pretty much out of luck. Can you just pick this up at a regular grocery store? Or do I have to truck to the homebrew shop?

Thanks

Always good to have extra packs of yeast on hand. Stored in the refrigerator they have a long life. Impromptu brew days aren't cancelled because no yeast is on hand.

Good to have harvested yeast in the frig also to save money.

Grocery stores usually only carry yeast for bread making.

One other thing: Is anyone paranoid like me and feel like they need a "backup yeast" handy?

I've seen some beginner recipes (John Palmer's maybe) that say to buy two packets of yeast in case one is a dud, or perhaps is ruined by the user. I often don't have a backup, but can easily run out to my local homebrew shop. And I can't remember the last time I needed a backup.

But if I were a noob who had to order yeast online, I'd buy a backup packet and keep it in the fridge. If you don't need it, you can use it for the next batch.

I think it's probably a good idea. Instantly losing half of your yeast is pretty much the same as underpitching. The last beer I made I just pitched two packets of yeast without rehydrating though. Two halves make a whole lol.

I will usually mix Fermaid, extract, and hot water. The extract and Fermaid dissolves after stirring, then I top up with cooler water and put dry yeast in. As the yeast absorbs liquid, it drops. When most of it drops it gets a good stir and the container gets covered with clear Cling wrap for a while at room temperature.
I do the same thing when making a liquid yeast starter and have never had a problem. The starter is ready when I see evidence of foam and some condensation on the inner surface of the Cling wrap.

I have a habit of buying multiple dry yeast packets simply because it's cheaper.

I think it's probably a good idea. Instantly losing half of your yeast is pretty much the same as underpitching. The last beer I made I just pitched two packets of yeast without rehydrating though. Two halves make a whole lol.

Crud!

I guess I'm getting in the car for 35 minutes and picking up some yeast.

Don't bother cooling the yeast, the difference in volume between your chilled wort and the proofed yeast is very high, so the elevated temp of the yeast solution won't do much to the overall temp of the wort. Plus it eliminates a possible contamination point in the process.

I will usually mix Fermaid, extract, and hot water. The extract and Fermaid dissolves after stirring, then I top up with cooler water and put dry yeast in.

The reason you rehydrate dry yeast is because in its dry state, it can't control the passage of sugar through its cell membrane. Rehydrating with extract is counter-productive. You might as well just sprinkle on the wort.

Crud!

Honestly, if it's that much trouble I would just let it ride. It's not a huge deal, but if you have an extra packet on hand you can always dump it in there for peace of mind if nothing else. Your beer will likely come out fine without it though. I had some extra packets of us-05 on hand for my last batch, so I used two. If I hadn't had them, I would have used one and I wouldn't have sweated it much at all.

Crud!

If you rehydrate one package (11.5 grams) it's plenty for a 5 gallon batch up to around 1.060-1.065. It's a simple process and there's no reason to foul it up.

IF something unfortunate happens, you knock the measuring cup with rehydrating yeast over, or you pour it into hot wort etc., then you're SOL, and need to make the drive.

It's a good idea next time you're at the brew store to buy a few extra packets of dry yeast for the just in case. Silly to do it now, for no good reason.

Dry yeast is actually best stored in the freezer. Will last 5 years, at least. Same with hops.

Seems to be mixed opinions on whether rehydrating dried yeast is necessary. Everything I've read/watched indicates that you limit the amount of yeast cells by not rehydrating.

Questions:

2. Sanitize? Should I dump the packet in a sanitized solution?

3. Rehydrating Instructions: Do I have this right:

* Sanitize scissors, thermometer, spoon, tin foil, yeast packet.
* Take yeast out of fridge and bring to room temperature.
* Bring 3/4 cup of water to a boil.
* Pour 1/2 cup of water into a sanitized jar/cup.
* Cover with foil, put sanitized thermometer in jar, cool to 100-105 degrees.
* Sprinkle yeast on top of water.
* Cover for 15 minutes.
* Stir with sanitized spoon until creamy texture.
* Let sit for 5 minutes.
* Add some cool water to bring down into wort temperature range. (Does this need to be boiled water that was cooled in fridge? Assume yes).
* Pitch the yeast.

I'd also add that rehydrating the yeast would probably make it easier to pour into the carboy. Could see dried yeast getting stuck to funnel or being problematic as I pour it into small carboy hole.

Thanks!

I would add that you should temper the hydrated yeast down to pitching temperature by adding small amounts of wort to it over a 20 minute period. It provides nutrients and gives the yeast an opportunity to adapt to the environment. This is the way wine makers do it and they work exclusively with dry yeast.

One more question here:

* When in the process do you start rehydrating the yeast? Once you start chilling the wort?

I figure you have...what...30-40 minutes of cooling to take place so I'm thinking while that cooling is taking place I could begin the steps for rehydration? I guess I'd keep checking the water/ice in the sink along with the wort temperature.

One Problem: I'm realizing that my one thermometer will be in the wort pot. I know I'm supposed to sprinkle the yeast in once the temp drops to 100.

I guess I could take the thermometer out, sanitize it, put it back in the pot? Just feel like that kind of back and forth introduces risk.

One more question here:

* When in the process do you start rehydrating the yeast? Once you start chilling the wort?

I figure you have...what...30-40 minutes of cooling to take place so I'm thinking while that cooling is taking place I could begin the steps for rehydration? I guess I'd keep checking the water/ice in the sink along with the wort temperature.

One Problem: I'm realizing that my one thermometer will be in the wort pot. I know I'm supposed to sprinkle the yeast in once the temp drops to 100.

I guess I could take the thermometer out, sanitize it, put it back in the pot? Just feel like that kind of back and forth introduces risk.

Your wort and the rehydration water is sanitary so the same thermometer can be used. There is some difference concerning water rehydration temperature between Fermentis and Lallemand. I usually go for a water temperature of 85° to 95°F.

I time the rehydrated yeast to be ready after the wort is in the fermentor. Any delay in the cooling will not leave the yeast in the rehydration water so long that the yeast cell reserves will begin to be used up. A half hour to an hour delay in pitching the yeast into the wort won't make a big difference.

This is also a good excuse to pick up a Thermapen when they are on sale again.

I reckon on your first batch you've got enough going on that you can skip the rehydration. Yes, it's certainly best practice but it wont make a huge difference to the quality of your beer.

I reckon on your first batch you've got enough going on that you can skip the rehydration. Yes, it's certainly best practice but it wont make a huge difference to the quality of your beer.

You may be right.

I feel like a medical student going in for a brain surgery.

We'll see how it goes. If things are going swimmingly, I'll tackle it. If I'm panicked early forget it.

Back