Rehydrating dry yeast with tap water (no boil)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snooby

Reaction score
I usually boil my water in the microwave and wait for it to cool before using it to rehydrate my yeast, but i was thinking I can skip this step entirely and use the water straight from the tap without having to boil it. I live in a city where there is a bit of chlorine and chloramine in the water. I wasn't sure if the reason why people boil the water before was because they get their water from a well.

Anyone have any experience with this?

I use tap water sometimes with no ill effect. You can use bottled water or like you said a cup of cooled micro water.

Boil the water to sanitize and I've read it also drives off the chlorine. If you don't dechlorinate the water you can get an off taste, or even kill your yeast when trying to rehydrate it.

I boil the water before I start brewing and cover with sanitized foil, but I don't think you're likely to get an infection from unboiled tap water so long as you sanitize (with StarSan) the container that you're rehydrating in.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I already soak my cup in starsan before using warm water from the tap. I use camden tablets for my mash and sparge water so I doubt 100ml of the (chorline/chloramine) tap water will have an affect on taste on the 5 gallon batch of beer.

Back