Rehydrated yeast in tap water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimbutler21

Reaction score
I normally rehydrate my yeast in cooled, boiled water, but being in a rush and having a few too many beers during brewing I rehydrated in water straight from the tap.

Am I ok pitching? Or should I use an older packet I have laying around (albeit a different strain)?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I did sterilize the glass before I put the yeast in there to rehydrate....

Dry yeast doesn't technically need to be rehydrated. You can just pitch it directly into the wort and you'll be fine.

Generally you should follow the instructions on the dry yeast package. Some say to rehydrate, but most don't need to be rehydrated.

You're correct, it "doesn't technically need to be rehydrated," but following the advice found here since my 3rd batch, I've had significantly better results. I'm not saying that it won't work without rehydrating, I'm saying my process is to rehydrate.

So, if anyone has an answer to the question originally posted it would be appreciated.

You will not have any problems if your tap water does not have chlorine or chloramine in it.
Don't use RO water or distilled water for rehydrating yeast. The osmotic pressure created by using these two types of water will cause damage to the cell walls of the yeast.
Up to half of the yeast cells can be damaged or killed by pitching dry.

Good to know. Thanks for the speedy reply!

Back