Rehdrating dry yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summersolstice

Reaction score
I don't know if this has ever been covered or not but I see a lot of people wondering whether or not to use a starter for their wine or mead. This is a natural question for brewers to ask but in wine and mead making one only needs to rehydrate the yeast.

Proper rehydration ensures a healthy and active fermentation so I thought I'd add the rehydration method recommended by certain wine yeast manufacturers (Lallemand in particular - makers of D-47, EC 1118, K1V-116, RC212, etc.) GO-FERM® (brand name - use this product) is crucial for good rehydration.

RE-HYDRATING DRY WINE YEAST

GO-FERM® gives the yeast all the nutrients they need to be fully fed and ready to ferment when they hit the must.

1. Mix GO-FERM® into 104 F/43 C water. Do not guess. Use a thermometer.

2. Gently stir yeast into water and GO-FERM® mixture.

3. Let stand, covered, for 10-15 minutes (never more than 30 minutes).

4. Gently stir again and use.

5. Be sure to acclimate this mixture to the temperature of the must, before
adding to the total batch! Watch the temperature difference!

* Slowly, over a five minute period, add up to equal amounts of the colder must/juice into the yeast/GO-FERM® slurry.
* Avoid cold shocking/killing the yeast by not exceeding more than an 18*F/10*C temperature drop.
* This step must be repeated for every 18*F/10*C difference between the must/juice and the yeast/GO-FERM® slurry.
* Each atemperation step should last about 15-20 minutes. You will see the yeast actually bubbling as they multiply and adapt to the temperature and conditions of the must/juice.
* For example: for a must/juice temperature of 68*F/20*C and a yeast/GO-FERM® slurry of 104*F/40*C, two atemperation steps are required, taking about 45 minutes. (that's Step #1: 104*F to 86*F. Step#2: 86*F to 68*F)

Use a ratio of 1 part yeast:1.25 parts GO-FERM®.

IMPORTANT:

NEVER USE NUTRIENTS CONTAINING AMMONIA SALTS SUCH AS DAP DURING YEAST REHYDRATION - THEY ARE TOXIC TO THE YEAST AT HIGH LEVELS!

Great directions, thanks!
Can you elaborate a bit more on when it might be necessary to use a starter? Apparently I've been quite fortunate and never needed to use one. However, perhaps I should have and I was just lucky...

Latest posts

Back