Regulator to tank problem--gasket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carrollyn

Reaction score
I took the regulator off my bottle and something popped out that I don't remember from the last time I did that. It was a black o-ring that promptly crawled out like a snake from a brass ring and became twice the size it was before, making it not fit back in. Now I don't know what to do! Is it a redundant piece? Do I need it back in there on the nylon washer for it not to leak? I was taking it off to switch regulators and bottles. (I have identical units) both of them did the same thing. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1477798020.329353.jpg

At first glance I'd have guessed the ring and black gasket were redundant given the integrated nylon bushing, but if both regs had them, they may be necessary.

I'd stack the metal ring against the nylon bushing then add the black gasket and run the coupler nut down on them.
And get rid of the tape, it's doing zero to help seal the coupler - which has a big hole right through it...

Cheers!

Well, I noticed that one of the black o rings didn't seem to have grown as gargantuan as the other, so I managed to slip it back inside the brass ring, which has a groove inside for it to fit. It fit right over the little brass nipple on the bottle outlet. So I screwed it together and that seems fine. Since I have to fill the other tank, I will bring the assembly with it to have them handle it. Actually, exchange the bottle.
Yeah, I put the teflon tape on because "they" said to. But "they" sometimes are just repeating what "them" told them.

Well, I have grown in my education! This morning when I got up and looked at the black O ring it had shrunk back down to its tiny hard self again. Not huge and spongy anymore. I guess I have witnessed some physics in action as to why pressurized gas o rings are different from regular o rings, to be able to handle the temperatures.View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1477846826.961375.jpg

Back