Regulator Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBBco

Reaction score
I recently started kegging and thus far things have gone pretty well. I am not 100% that my regulator is up-to-snuff, so I plan on getting a new one. Currently, I have 2 lines running off of a Wye (Kegconnections kit). I do not foresee going to more than 2 taps in the near future, but it is a possibility. I do plan on brewing some beers that would require different Volumes of Co2. Knowing this, is it possible to purchase a new dual gauge (single body) regulator to meet my needs? I.E. once the keg is carbonated to desired volumes, does setting both at serving PSI hold their carbonation? OR should I shell out the money for a dual body, triple gauge regulator?

Thanks for any insights.

If you are set on different volumes, you will need the double body regulator.

Honestly though, in my opinion, I don't think it is worth it to carb to different volumes. I would pick one that worked for the vast majority of your beers, and stick with it.

I used to think I wanted separate volumes, and I bought/built secondary regulators, multiple manifolds, etc. It got too complicated, and with so many connections, I developed many leaks, some after years of use. Leaks are a pain to deal with. With all that, I now carb and serve everything at the same pressure.

I've come to appreciate some simplicity, at least in this aspect of the hobby.

The other concern with double body regulators, is that it sticks out further from the tank, and is more likely to be bumped, knocked, and crushed if the tank falls. I do have one double body regulator, but I really only use it when I am working with my jockey boxes, but a manifold would've been a simpler approach for me.

Knowing this, is it possible to purchase a new dual gauge (single body) regulator to meet my needs? I.E. once the keg is carbonated to desired volumes, does setting both at serving PSI hold their carbonation? OR should I shell out the money for a dual body, triple gauge regulator?

Thanks for any insights.

Your serving PSI is the same PSI as you carbed your beer at. If you carb 12 PSI and serve at 10 PSI the co2 will come out of solution and cause foam. If you carb at 12 PSI and serve at 14 PSI your beer will add co2 until it equals out at 14 PSI.

Latest posts

Back