Regulator question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smurfwar

Reaction score
Local craigslist has a 20+ year old regulator and co2 tank. Whats protocol on stuff like that. Offer 20 and hope it works or is there no hope on it. Any way to test it? Any info i should know on the matter? New to brew.

I have 4 regulators that I bought over the years and at least 2 of them creep up on the pressure so it gets to be a PIA. Was going to get rebuild kits for them but decided to just buy a new taprite and be done with it. If they were taprites I would have just got rebuild kits but after research. To rebuild mine I was told, you have to tear yours apart and look at our rebuild kits to see if they look the same

There are tanks out there that are over 100 years old. They will last forever if they are not grossly abused.

-cheers

Yes this is true, but the tanks are required to have a hydrostatic test every 5 years while the pressure regulating device sits at the house.

some gas places ignore the hydro when you turn them in, as they just do it themselves. i'm looking at buying a full 90 lb co2 for $50, even though it's out-of-date. years worth of co2, plus supplying the club on our sponsored events, etc

some gas places ignore the hydro when you turn them in, as they just do it themselves. i'm looking at buying a full 90 lb co2 for $50, even though it's out-of-date. years worth of co2, plus supplying the club on our sponsored events, etc

This is true but not a good practice. It is usually not the cylinder that fails it's the burst disk (safety device) located on the valve. From personal experience you do not want to be in the general proximity of a 5 lb. (or any size for that matter) when the safety device does it's job. After the incident I required a fresh pair of shorts and my ears rang for what seem to be weeks.

Latest posts

Back