Regulator problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vicat

Reaction score
I have a KegCo dual regulator. I only have one line hooked up to it now. I just kegged a corny keg of beer and pressurized to 30 psi to seal the lid. Once it was equalized, I turned the psi down to 15 psi (I live at 8000 feet above sea level). For some reason the regulator after a few minutes keep going back up to 30 psi. Anyone have suggestions on this or solutions? I don't want to over carb my beer.

Did you remember to release pressure on the keg when you lowered the regulator?

Sounds like you have pressure creep. If it is a new regulator it may have a faulty seat assembly and you should get in touch with who you bought it from. If it is an old regulator then some particulates may have got inside and affected the seal between the high and low pressure regions. You might need to open up the housing and replace the seat assembly.

It seems like it has settled down now to the right psi. Thanks for the info. I think it was still cooling down in the kegerator from the fermentation chamber.

Any time you lower the pressure setting on a regulator with the output essentially "closed" (which could mean shut off, or connected to a sealed keg, etc) the "prior" pressure needs to be relieved to allow the low pressure gauge to actually register the lower setting.

Also, if the regulator does not have a "backflow preventer" (aka check valve) built into the shut-off valve and there's a keg hooked up, the keg pressure will make it all the way back to the regulator and the low pressure gauge.

So, pop the keg PRV (or the regulator PRV, if so equipped) whenever lowering a pressure setting...

Cheers!

Back