Regulator fittings question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdkopp0153

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a nitrogen regulator (pictured) that I am using a CGA 320- 580 adapter to fit to my CO2 tank, but the gas outflow from the regulator has a 1/2 male threaded end. All the beverage supply places only have 1/4 inch ffl swivel nut with 5/16 barbed fitting. Where can I find a 1/2 inch ffl swivel nut that still holds the 5/16 barbed fitting?
Is this common at hardware stores? gas supply stores?

IMG_20111011_223210.jpg

Try going to AirGas and see what they say (or any gas/welding supply). If they don't have it they can point you in the right direction.
Cheers

Even with an adapter you may not be happy with this regulator because it's a welding regulator, designed to flow gas at high volume. It may not be stable at the pressures we typically use for kegging.

Even with an adapter you may not be happy with this regulator because it's a welding regulator, designed to flow gas at high volume. It may not be stable at the pressures we typically use for kegging.

Can you explain that in a bit more detail? It seems to a have a 0-60 LP gauge. But are you meaning that since it is designed to allow a hih volume of gas to flow that it will not open uniform at low flow and end up kind of on/off between a range around the set pressure?

Just because the gauge displays 0 - 60 PSI does not mean the regulator will adjust to 0. The gauge only goes to 0 because when the gas is turned all the way off it has to read 0 to be accurate. And many welding regulators will not reliably adjust & regulate pressure down to 0 PSI. Beverage (beer & soda) regulators are designed to regulate down to 0 PSI but they are not designed to flow high volume like a welding regulator.

Just because the gauge displays 0 - 60 PSI does not mean the regulator will adjust to 0. The gauge only goes to 0 because when the gas is turned all the way off it has to read 0 to be accurate. And many welding regulators will not reliably adjust & regulate pressure down to 0 PSI. Beverage (beer & soda) regulators are designed to regulate down to 0 PSI but they are not designed to flow high volume like a welding regulator.

Yeah, I ask because I have a "not beverage" regulator. Just wanted to check what you were meaning. Most of the time I have mine set at 10-15 PSI and seems accuarate enough. But it is a CO2 reg and it is smallet than OPs. :)

You probably have a small air regulator if it's smaller than this one & not a beverage regulator. Some work fine as primary regulators but they were not designed for higher CO2 pressures. I used to have a lot of walk-in regulator business and I've seen some work until the tank got warm enough & the pressure got high enough to blow them out. Some welding regulators work great too, some don't. At least they don't blow out & dump 20# of CO2 gas into your living room.

Thanks for the tips on the fittings.
These regulators are also designed to supply pressure to pressure transducers which require a constant and highly accurate pressure in the 8-22 psi range depending on the depth and velocity of the column of water above the transducer being sensed. It holds that pressure steady and accurate, not a high volume of gas at all.

Back