Refurbishing an older tap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garrett19

Reaction score
Happy New Year! I recently found an older Sanke Coupler with a fauacet attached. I picked it up for $20 and got it home, discovering that it needed complete replacement of all seals, etc. The Faucet also needs the same TLC.

I have no problem doing it, in fact, this is what I like to do. I just want to make sure that I am not throwing good money after a bad project.

Attached is a picture of the tap before I took it apart. I meant to take some pics of it as I took it apart, but that parts are now resting in some Soapy/OxyClean water to get the crud out of them.

Any advise would be most appreciated!

Garrett

s640_478e57904cdb174537eaea8828529.jpg

Just soak it - if it's been awhile i'd say BLC soak for everything that had beer in it. oxy clean works good for inbetween cleanings, but something that has obviously sat for long enough to kill the gaskets, i'd say BLC would be a great investment (never know if beer was sitting in there for awhile either)

So I haven't got BLC yet, but I wanted to show the tap and coupler. Are these still salvageable? I like old things but the brass is showing through. Do I need to be worried about it? Can i drive one with these? I am attaching some pics of the parts for you all to see.

Garrett

image.jpg

Looks to be a chrome plated faucet, yes?

Many shy away from them, especially when the chrome begins to thin and to chip off, so as not to ingest any chrome with your beer.

That's why most spring for stainless faucets.

That's not to say, that you would not get good service from it.

There are also new chrome plated faucets available.

I refurbished some similar looking faucets using parts from CHI company. Kind of a confusing product page, but you can kind of build your own rebuild-kit.

Back