Refrigerating to Prevent Bottle Bombs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheLion85

Reaction score
I have a chocolate stout brewed back on June 18th, 2011 and bottled a month later. The beer was fine, no trace of being over-carbed at all. The OG was 1.053 and the FG was 1.018, and the brewing process seemed to go pretty well, though the abv did end up a little lower than called for. It was then stored for 5 months from 8/11-1/12 in a garage that had pretty big temp fluctuations and got into the 80s (not good, I know, but I had no real choice - it was either that or dump 'em).

Now two bottles I have opened in the last few days after a week-long stay in the fridge were intense gushers. They still tasted pretty good - in fact they are much tastier now - but they went crazy first. How big a concern are bottle bombs at this point, and if I stick the few bottles remaining in a fridge, how low should the temp be to avoid them?

sounds like you overprimed. The damage is done as far as being overcarbed just stick them all in the fridge and open them over the sink.

Back