Refractometer or Hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hogcrewer

Reaction score
So I am thinking about purchasing a refractometer. The hydrometer has been true blue throughout the years. For those of you that have hydrometers, is there any difference in your reading of the two? Ease of use?
I just want to know the benefits in them versus the hydrometer. Thanks

I just got a refractometer and used it for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I love it! With a hydrometer I found it hard to accurately read, especially if there are bubbles or foam on the top of the liquid. With the refractometer it is easy. I just get a couple of drops with the pipette which came with it and put it on the glass plate. Look through it and you are good to go.

I bought a refractometer from AHS which shows OG. There are also cheaper ones which just show Brix. If you get one of those you will have to do a quick calculation each time in order to calculate gravity.

A refractometer is very handy for quick gravity readings throughout the brewing process. IMO, it's a must have brewing tool. I think a good hydrometer is somewhat more precise, but that's really a very minor issue. A refractometer will only give you accurate readings prior to the start of fermentation, however, if you know your OG, there are formulas and software available that can adjust for this. The problem is that the readings must be corrected for the presence of alcohol. IMO, it's best to have both tools available. I get good correlation between them within a gravity point or two most of the time.

A refractometer is great prior to fermentation. Can take tons of samples during mash/boil/post-boil and use very little wort. And I don't have to wait forever for the sample to be cool enough like for a hydrometer.

Post fermentation you can use the refractometer and a hydrometer to determine OG. If you add sugars or any other fermentable after fermentation has begun, this is the easiest way to determine OG.

Simply put, both are great to have!

I agree with the previous post. Before I brewed AG, it was easy to just roll with the hydrometer. Now that I brew AG, I regard the refractometer as indispensable. I use it for all pre-fermentation readings, and use the hydrometer to check FG.

I agree with the previous post. Before I brewed AG, it was easy to just roll with the hydrometer. Now that I brew AG, I regard the refractometer as indispensable. I use it for all pre-fermentation readings, and use the hydrometer to check FG.

And I agree with both of them! Unfortunately, in my brewing I just haven't found the FG correlation accurate enough to be useful. I'm working on developing a better one, but at the rate I brew it's probably a year or more away.

If you do get the refractometer with the SG scale, make sure you only use it under about 1.055. The manufacturer did the Brix-SG conversion incorrectly, so above that you'll still have to read the Brix scale and convert by hand.

Latest posts

Back