Refractometer and BeerSmith

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petemoss

Reaction score
Hi gang,

I was wondering how y'all use a refractometer in conjunction with BeerSmith.

I was wondering if people just take their OG and FG gravities in specific gravity straight from the refractometer and enter it into the OG and FG fields in BeerSmith.

I know that there is a refractometer tool in BeerSmith which can be used to correct the refractometer readings into a "more true" SG reading based on the types of sugars that a refractometer reads vs the kinds that are actually in wort.

Plus it also converts the FG reading based on reading fermented wort instead of non-fermented wort.

Do you guys use this tool to correct your readings prior to updating your recipe OG and FG or do you just enter what the refractometer says directly?

Thanks

You definitely want to correct your FG reading before you enter a number into BeerSmith. My refractometer measures in brix so I always use a spreadsheet calculator to convert my readings to OG and (corrected) FG, and then I enter the results into BeerSmith.

I'm sure the BeerSmith tool is fine. I already have an Excel workbook open to keep notes on my brew day so having the calculator on a separate tab of that workbook actually is pretty convenient for me. YMMV.

I use the tool to correct my readings before entering them into BeerSmith. Really, the only place I totally rely on the refractometer is on the runnings from the mash. My pre-boil and gravity reading into the fermentor are made with a hydrometer and recorded as such.

If you want to rely on your refractometer, then I would recommend doing a couple of readings with both hydrometer and refractometer and using the tool to 'calibrate' your refractometer to your hydrometer. For me it was a relatively minor adjustment, but the times when I forget to take a hydrometer reading (oops) or am getting weird results, I can then use the refractometer to back up or confirm readings.

I've been using beersmith for a few years, and I just got a refractometer, and I have no idea BS had a tool for it. I'll check it out.

It's a good idea to use the refractometer with your hydrometer for the first few readings. Def going to do that next brew day. Last brew I just took refractometer readings and used them in BS and didn't even think about it. It has both brix and OG reading.

Good advice guys on using a hydrometer to make sure that the refractometer is calibrated correctly. Unfortunately I don't have a hydrometer at the moment. I guess I'll just hope that it is close for the time being. Maybe if it is off a little at least it will be consistently off each time.

@bobeer Yeah, I didn't know about the tool either. I was just recording values directly. Then I ran across the tool for correcting the values and I was like, "oh crap!"

Good advice guys on using a hydrometer to make sure that the refractometer is calibrated correctly. Unfortunately I don't have a hydrometer at the moment. I guess I'll just hope that it is close for the time being. Maybe if it is off a little at least it will be consistently off each time.

@bobeer Yeah, I didn't know about the tool either. I was just recording values directly. Then I ran across the tool for correcting the values and I was like, "oh crap!"

Going to check out the BS tool my next brew day :ban: yay for new toys.

Not sure if you're aware but you're supposed to be able to calibrate your refractometer using distilled water. It's supposed to read at 0.

weird thing happened with my refractometer during my last brew day... I was doing a little biab on the stove and it was the first time I did a full volume mash and didn't sparge at all. I was wondering what my SG was before boil and I started using the refractometer. It was 1.030 something...
After the boil it was only at 1.040 so I decided to cut the heat and do a no chill "rest" so some more water would evaporate. I had to run out to the store to get diapers for my 2 year old so it was much longer of a rest than I had planned. I went and took another refractometer reading when I got back and it said 1.052. I was pretty stoked.
But then, just for grins, I took another reading as I was putting the wort in the fermentor. It was back to 1.043 or so. No idea why it was 9 points off... I took another few readings but they were all the same at around 1.043. Weird huh or is this normal behavior for a refractometer?

The correction factor is beer dependent. On new recipes you should use the hydrometer to determine this factor

Back