Refill a co2 tank thats not fully empty?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cool63

Reaction score
Can I or should I refill my co2 tank even thought it is not completely empty. I know is close but I am about to connect a new keg and I will not get a chance to refill for a few weeks ( have to plan to take of work). Any ideas refill or wait?

You can refill it if you want, but first I'd remove the reg and weigh your tank to know exactly how much you have left.

It has about 12oz left in it. I will refill but I am wondering if that could carb and push a 19l corny keg???

It has about 12oz left in it. I will refill but I am wondering if that could carb and push a 19l corny keg???

Depends on how much you use to purge and the desired carb level and serving temp. In general it takes 8-16oz to carb and serve 5 gal, so 12oz would likely be very close to the required amount.

I never run my tank to empty. . . though close, sometimes. It's just not worth saving a few bucks vs. being out of gas with no store open to refill.

Back