Red to Imperial Red

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gold_Robber

Reaction score
I have an American red ale that I want to turn into an Imperial Red. Is it as simple as increasing the grain bill as well as the hops, or is there another method of doing this?

If there is a thread that pertains to this issue, that I missed, please let me know.

TIA

Found a thread discussing stout VS imperial stout IMO beefing up the alcohol content is a good start. I want to say reds usually have low hop bitterness.

However if you do not care for brewing in style make it how you want it!

EDIT: HBT definition of Normal Red Ale. Touches on Imperial and Double.

Lagunitas Censored One I like to keep in the fridge. For me does not meet what I think the Imperial stands for.

Also Found Shark Attack "West coast double red ale."

I want to say reds usually have low hop bitterness.

Per the BJCP guidelines an American red (referred to as American amber in the guidelines) can be well hopped. American versions of classic styles are generally more hopped and have a cleaner fermentation character. So it would follow that an imperial American red would have high hop bitterness and a pretty significant late hop character, which is typical of most commercial examples of imperial American red.

To answer your question, Gold_Robber, essentially yes. A larger grain bill and a higher hopping rate will accomplish what you desire. One thing to note, however, is that while American reds have a medium-ish body, imperial American reds tend to finish a little higher giving it a little fuller body than the standard version. :mug:

EDIT: Just wanted to clarify where I got the info about the imperial red. It comes from the Brewer's Association style guidelines since there is no imperial red style in the BJCP guidelines.

Per the BJCP guidelines an American red (referred to as American amber in the guidelines) can be well hopped. American versions of classic styles are generally more hopped and have a cleaner fermentation character. So it would follow that an imperial American red would have high hop bitterness and a pretty significant late hop character, which is typical of most commercial examples of imperial American red.

To answer your question, Gold_Robber, essentially yes. A larger grain bill and a higher hopping rate will accomplish what you desire. One thing to note, however, is that while American reds have a medium-ish body, imperial American reds tend to finish a little higher giving it a little fuller body than the standard version. :mug:

EDIT: Just wanted to clarify where I got the info about the imperial red. It comes from the Brewer's Association style guidelines since there is no imperial red style in the BJCP guidelines.

Would you use WLP007 (typical english yeast that finishes a bit drier) as a yeast to retain a little more body? In my mind an American yeast would be too dry. Perhaps it is personal preference.

Would you use WLP007 (typical english yeast that finishes a bit drier) as a yeast to retain a little more body? In my mind an American yeast would be too dry. Perhaps it is personal preference.

I would use an American ale yeast, personally, to get that clean fermentation profile and I would control body with mash temperature (154 F oughta do the trick). That said, despite the guidelines I think they are better with medium-light to medium body, so just as a personal preference if I were to brew it I would keep the body the same as your standard recipe, but obviously that call is up to you.

I want to say reds usually have low hop bitterness.

I did not think to check Brewers Assoiation.

I agree your O.G. and your yeast selection have a great deal to do with it. My house yeast is ESB London Ale 1968, and it has been through many generations during the last year. Although it usually has a high flocculation and medium attenuation, I have had medium high O.G. beers ferment down to 1.000 on more than one occasion. Needless to say, even a 1.041 Amber Ale can become a big beer.

Gold_Robber said:

IIRC, wlp007 has the same attenuation rates as wlp001 so if you're looking to leave a little more "sweetness" you might look at another yeast. However, I think 007 would be awesome & I may use it when I re-brew my IRA for fall. I really like the way that yeast complements the malt and adds a touch if complexity with its own flavors.

Back