Red Star Montrachet for Hard Cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdwrage

Reaction score
Hey all,

I haven't been on here in a while, ever since I made a batch of mead (btw, never throw a whole orange peel in to the mash... bad idea). I am now curious about getting into making hard cider as it takes less time and I personally love the taste of cider anyways. I bought some Red Star Montrachet yeast and was wondering if it is something that would produce good results? Have any of you tried using it?

Thanks! :tank:

Any yeast will ferment cider, as the sugars are 100 percent fermentable and the maximum SG you a re likely to get from pressed juice is about 1.050 - well within the tolerance of bread, beer, and wine yeasts.. The key is whether the yeast you want to use enhances the strengths of the flavors you want to enjoy and inhibits the weaknesses of the flavors you want to avoid... Ditto the mouthfeel. I think the best yeast for cider is 71B but many folk use the yeast you refer to..

Montrachet works fine, but I'd use some yeast nutrients with it, otherwise you'd have to deal with the infamous "rhino farts" that montrachet can, er, enhance!

Hydrogen sulfide gas released by yeast that are stressed due to insufficient nutrients. Cider alone does not contain enough of the trace minerals that yeast need to remain healthy during fermentation.

I just use yeast nutrient from the LHBS, about a teaspoon in 5 gallons. Another thing you can do is stir the must once or twice a day for the first few days. That helps aerate and releases some of the dissolved gasses.

I've heard a few chopped raisins can give the yeast enough nutrients. I've never tried it. I use yeast nutrient 1/2-1 tsp. per gal.

Back