Red Robin. Is it going downhill where you live?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BruceH

Mostly Retired
Reaction score
This is a minor rant.

For a very long time I've been a fan of Red Robin for burgers. Something has happened in the last year or so. The last time I went there was a paper towel roll at the table (instead of napkins) and yes, you could see other peoples greasy fingerprints on the roll.

They also implemented the "pay at your table" interface which is another thing with every one else's greasy fingerprints all over it. I refused to use it and told them why.

The food was poor, I can only think they have gone to pre-made frozen patties.

What is going on in the world of burgers? RR used to be a good place for a burger.

There is a bunch of competition nation wide in the gourmet burger scene. RR is doing their best to remain competitive in the marketplace. Part of that involves targeting a slightly younger crowd then they used to. The slightly younger crowd (low 30's probably) prefer electronic, quick, "person-less" payments. Hence the "pay at your table" interface. If you don't want to use it, the wait staff will bring you a check.

RR tried to tap into this scene with a rebranding. In my area a few years ago they changed their sign to make "Gourmet Burgers and Brews" more prominent in an attempt to get, what I can only guess is, the craft brew crowd that prefers good burgers. Only when you come in you find out that "brews" means mostly AB-Inbev products. One or two Sam Adams, or something similar. Tough to compete with the dozen or so other breweries in the area that have a rotating slew of chefs.

I can't speak to the burgers though. I never noticed a change.

We went to RR a few daze ago. Had great service, great food, and good beer. We had a blast playing trivia on the table device. We won 7 out of 7!

They have been going downhill for 15+ years in my area. They opened a new one in a more affluent neighborhood and it still was meh. Spot service in a chain restaurant is only as good as it is at that time. Some employees give great service where others don't. I try not to judge too harshly on high turnover entry level roles since that employee will either develop or term.

Regarding food - aside from creative burger names, their "burger" is not noteworthy. If it's not pre-formed patties, then its mediocre bulk ground beef pressed on site. I'm certain thay are not custom blending the perfect burger.

I used to love RR years ago (before I was of drinking age). We never had one close by where I lived so whenever we went there, it was always something I looked forward to. I liked the burgers. I've moved in the past few years and now live right down the road from one. I went last year for the first time in years and was extremely disappointed. The only good beer they "had" was an IPA from Lagunitas which they just happened to be out of, so I ended up with a blue moon. No issues drinking blue moon, but as stated above it's disappointing from a restaurant that advertises beer like it's one of their specialties. So many other good burger places in the area with a lot of local/craft beer. As for the burger, it was not good at all. I won't be back.

I was surprised the first time I went in that they have a full bar. The burger was fine, but that was a few years ago.

Was RR ever that far up the hill in the first place?

It seems that the quality of food and service in a chain restaurant has as much to do with local franchisee or manager as anything. There’s a lot of variation between stores IME. The local job market has a lot to do with the service factor, as well. Where I live there truly is full employment. Anyone who wants to work and can pass a drug test can find a better-than-entry-level job. All of the food service and retail employers are looking for help and paying well over minimum wage. The chain restaurants in this area seem to be the most affected. They all seem to be staffed by a constantly revolving cast of characters who only stay until something better comes along.

I understand the attraction of chain restaurants. In theory, one can expect the same experience in every location. The reality is, in most communities, there are locally owned establishments that can provide better food and more consistent service at a competitive price.

OTOH, since I live in the deepest, darkest reaches of flyover country, my experience is atypical and has nothing to do with this thread. :cool:

I seem to remember it being better in the past...

I went there about 2 1/2 years ago, and suddenly it seemed far less than it had been previously. First and foremost, as you guys mention the burger patty just seems like a pre-formed, dry, and cooked to the point where it has lost all juiciness. Then the "bottomless" french fries were so lacking in flavor and seasoning that I turned down more the waitress when she offered to bring more because I figured no fries were better than bad fries.

While @grampamark is in the deep dark recesses of flyover country, this was in Irvine CA at a busy shopping mall where there are plenty of other dining options. Of course, that location HAS since closed, so at least they weren't endlessly rewarded for being terrible.

More recently, as part of a group we were all headed out to Redlands, CA. I was driving, so I was deliberately not in charge of picking lunch, but we needed to stop. Someone suggested Red Robin, and I figured I'd give it another try. Nope.

The burger was supposed to be on their "Finest Menu" section: https://www.redrobin.com/menu/finest-burgers/smoke-and-pepper.html

It was trash. Again, terrible patty. But the bacon was absolutely paper-thin and crisp, to the point it was tasteless and didn't have a good chew or texture. The lettuce was disgusting, and I couldn't even taste the pickle [which is bad given that the rest of the burger was bland]. And the fries were just as bad as I'd remembered.

Never again.

I went there once, a few years ago, so I can't comment if it's gone downhill or not.
Overpriced burgers and fries. Nothing special. Not impressed.

I seem to think I ate there a couple times in the early 2000s and was not impressed enough to ever go back. They keep opening them but they don't get any busier.

It’s been at the valley floor where I live.
If u like french fries great.
It u like to eat anything else, not so great.

I see ads for national dining chains all the time that don't have outlets anywhere near me out here in the relative boonies (or simply in the wrong region) and sometimes wonder if I'm missing something. Then I manage to find one in my travels and realize I wasn't missing anything. And realize how lucky I am to be married to a woman who knows her way around a kitchen :)

Cheers!

I see ads for national dining chains all the time that don't have outlets anywhere near me out here in the relative boonies (or simply in the wrong region) and sometimes wonder if I'm missing something. Then I manage to find one in my travels and realize I wasn't missing anything. And realize how lucky I am to be married to a woman who knows her way around a kitchen :)

Cheers!

Advertising and hype, that’s all it ever is.
Consider yourself a very lucky man. [emoji482]

Our local one has been pretty consistent. Yes, paper towels on the table and the self pay kiosk thing but lots of places are going to this now.

On the kiosk, you have your card the entire time. Wait staff isn't taking it out of your view and ripping it. These things only came into being when people started talking about a fifteen dollar per hour minimum wage. Wait person can be helping another table rather than processing your payment thus lower head count.

Overall food quality at ours has been stable.

All the Best,
D. White

Last time I was at a RR, I found the beer selection to be underwhelming and the burgers to be just average. Not bad, but not good. As we were about to pay, my girlfriend accidentally ripped a large fart on the vinyl booth seat, which served to amplify it...

So between the meh food and beer and the unfortunate flatulence incident, I doubt we will be going back any time soon.

You must have been the reason for this sign.....:D:D

yes-you-read-it-right.jpg

I've been to Red Robin maybe 3 times ever.
On my last visit I was served rotten French fries, which is an interesting choice. It's definitely a unique approach, at least in my experience, but I'm not sure who their target demographic would be for that.

I've been to Red Robin maybe 3 times ever.
On my last visit I was served rotten French fries, which is an interesting choice. It's definitely a unique approach, at least in my experience, but I'm not sure who their target demographic would be for that.
What the hell is a "rotten French fry" (not sure I really want to know)?

I played pool and drank beer a few times at the original RR (mid '70's) just outside the "U" district in Seattle, before they went into franchising. Never had a burger at the time. Now my daughter likes to go there once and a while. I find the current burgers to be ok, even if not outstanding. It's just average bar food, not haute cuisine, just like most franchises.

Brew on :mug:

I travel a lot for work so I have been eating a fair amount of restaurant food for the last ~20 years. What you describe with RR is the overall trend I've observed in the chain restaurant business. Portions smaller, cost higher, quality lower, and service less.

The last burger i had from RR i recall was good, but the fries weren't worth the calories. Everything on the table was covered with greasy finger prints too.

If it's my own money i'd just hit up five guys for the burger and an over sized bag of fries, then go home and drink a beer if i have any stomach space left. On the company dime i'd probably go to longhorn and get a filet instead.

This is a minor rant.

For a very long time I've been a fan of Red Robin for burgers. Something has happened in the last year or so. The last time I went there was a paper towel roll at the table (instead of napkins) and yes, you could see other peoples greasy fingerprints on the roll.

They also implemented the "pay at your table" interface which is another thing with every one else's greasy fingerprints all over it. I refused to use it and told them why.

The food was poor, I can only think they have gone to pre-made frozen patties.

What is going on in the world of burgers? RR used to be a good place for a burger.

Simple explanation: You were drunk. Every time you went to RR. Then in the last year you went there sober once or twice.

I've been to RR at least a dozen times in at least as many years. At least a few different locations. From the very first time I was there, I never thought that their burgers or fries were very good. The burger toppings were interesting at least, but I'd rather a good burger with fewer toppings. And I'd rather a small serving of good fries than "more than i'd want to eat" fries.

In my opinion, they went downhill when they introduced the bottomless fries....

Of course, that occurred about the age I started to appreciate quality food, so causation doesn't equal correlation.

We try to avoid most burger places now, unless there's no other options on a road trip. Great burgers are just much tastier. easier, and cheaper (and as quick) to make at home.

I do admit to trying to clone that whiskey river BBQ sauce though. ;)

Never been to a RR, don't have one close to me but have seen a few here and there- never was tempted to give them a try. Too many other options in my area, such as Five Guys and some local joints that make damn good burgers.
As for beer selection, most places suck with their choices. Craft wise, only a few places outside of bars or breweries have a decent beer menu. Couple restaurants near me have a good selection of beer on tap, which is what i prefer vs can or bottle.

our local one is very meh. used to have awesome decor, tho... all these famous and not-so-famous art prints. From Warhol's soup can prints to George Constanza on the chaise lounger. the walls were just covered, floor to 20-ft ceilings with prints

then they took all those down and now I can't even remember what they replaced them with, it's that bland now.

like their food.

they do have a couple local brews. 2, of the hundreds from 35 breweries we have in the county

Never been so I can't say. Where I used to live the closest one was at least a 45 minute drive. Here it is about 1/2 hour. I have never been impressed with ANY of these fancier chain restaurants.

Never been so I can't say. Where I used to live the closest one was at least a 45 minute drive. Here it is about 1/2 hour. I have never been impressed with ANY of these fancier chain restaurants.

not so fancy. it's a sit-down, fast food restaurant with a full bar and no drive-thru

As long as we're bashing Red Robin, I never go there since they don't have the diet plate like they have at my favorite joint - Jethros Drive N' Dive

IMG_1193.JPG

To put it in a time frame context I first went after I had moved to Washington state in the late 80's. They (the ones I have gone to) had a decent burger. Not the best but it was better than fast food and reliably good. Through the 90's and 00's my kids would always want to eat there and it was still fairly good food with decent service.

Now that the kids are on their own my wife and I don't go to RR very often. Because of this it was fairly obvious to us that something had changed and not for the better.

It could be the fact that most every place around here has a "Now Hiring" sign in the door or on the receipt making good help hard to come by and keep. It could be boneheaded corporate decisions made by executives who don't know when to leave things alone.

I don't mind paying for good food and service, I do mind paying too much for questionable food and service. We have plenty of burger choices.

RR Meh..

Go to Happy Hound in Los Gatos, CA and it will be the best burger you will ever have. [emoji482]

I have gone to RR ONCE. Just once, about 4 years ago. My opinion is that they were over priced burgers ( Cincinnati Ohio are) now I know there was a place in ft Walton beach Florida (2005)called back yard burgers that were awesome.

@6Tap first time hearing about them, where are they located(intersection) Thinking of visiting family either this year or next there. So far scramblers( spelling)(it’s been a few years)seems to be the best for breakfast.

IMG_2909.JPG

Happy Hound is located on Las Gatos Blvd.
They have about 3-4 tables inside their place and 2-3 tables outside. Their burgers have always been very good tasting and reasonably priced! [emoji482]
I wish I was eating one now.....

Back