Red Fluid from CO2 Manifold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toledoBrewer

Reaction score
I just racked a blonde ale from the primary to a keg. When I turned on the gas at the manifold, a red fluid came from the valve. I didn't let the fluid get into the keg. Two questions...

1. Is there a lubricant in the manifold valve, in which, it cracked and is now junk?
2. If this is a lubricant, although the fluid didn't reach the keg, is there a concern that it may have gotten into the keg in a gas form?

The CO2 tank is outside of the keg, but the manifold sits inside the fridge.

Cheers,
Ben

Maybe beer got pushed into the manifold at some point? There shouldn't be any lubricant, and it wouldn't become a gas if there were any.

I'd agree about it being something left from manufacturing, it doesn't belong. I'd also be concerned, cutting oil in the beer can't be tasty or great for you.

I'd agree about it being something left from manufacturing, it doesn't belong. I'd also be concerned, cutting oil in the beer can't be tasty or great for you.

Always good to set up your gas system and run 30 psi+ gas through every valve before using so you can clear anything that may be in there.

Always good to set up your gas system and run 30 psi+ gas through every valve before using so you can clear anything that may be in there.
Thanks for all of the replies. The manifold is about two years old, so the stars must have just aligned perfectly. I'm going to assume it was cutting oil as it looked like transmission fluid. I'm also assuming that it is good to drink since it looked like it didn't get to the post and the keg is filled with a whiskey barrel aged scotch ale.

I'll replace the tubing and blow out the system and exercise those valves before carbonating.

Cheers,
Ben

Yeah, I've been using it for two years. I haven't had any beer go back into the CO2 line. So, I'm pretty confused about what it could be.

Yeah, I've been using it for two years. I haven't had any beer go back into the CO2 line. So, I'm pretty confused about what it could be.

I guess I would doubt it was cutting fluid from MFRing if it never had issues before. You sure you never got beer in there at all? When I started kegging I accidentally got some fluid in my gas lines. The keg was overfilled and the gas in diptube was submerged. I had set the pressure to 15 psi or because I carb'd at a higher temperature than my serving freezer. I hooked up gas at a lower pressure in the freezer and a little bit of beer backed up the line.

I would almost be tempted to try to clean out the manifold with PBW or some other cleaner, then let air dry before getting it back in service.

I just cut the tubing a part. It didn't smell or feel like a lubricant. I don't remember anything going back into the manifold, but clearly this has to be beer. I'll definitely be taking the system a part and soaking it in PBW tonight. Thanks for the help in figuring out what this is.

Latest posts

Back