Red Bridge Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benjibbad

Reaction score
I saw this stuff at the store the other day. Anyone had it? Apparently it is made without wheat or barley??:drunk: How does one make beer without barley??

It is a gluten free beer made for celiacs and the wheat intolerant. How good it is is relative. It's not great by most beer drinker standards but if you aren't able to drink beer at all, it's not bad.

I have had it before, not great, but not terrible if you have no other options. I paid like $8 for a 6pk, won't do that again.

It's also made by A-B. I wanted to try it since my co-worker is gluten intolerant. However he has been doing experiments lately with beer and has found that he has no reaction to the gluten in beer. He thinks the part of gluten which effects him either doesn't make it into the beer or it is in such small quantities that a hangover will outweigh any gluten reaction he might have.

It's also made by A-B. I wanted to try it since my co-worker is gluten intolerant. However he has been doing experiments lately with beer and has found that he has no reaction to the gluten in beer. He thinks the part of gluten which effects him either doesn't make it into the beer or it is in such small quantities that a hangover will outweigh any gluten reaction he might have.

That's interesting. While I don't know the actual quantity of gluten in beer the fact that it is brewed with grains (barley, wheat, etc.) that certainly contain gluten makes this off limits to people with Celiac. I think some one who is gluten intolerant might have different circumstances.

Anyways, back to the OP- I've tried Redbridge and I think it is just ok. After a few sips you will notice some residual sweetness left over in your mouth- I'm not a big fan of that. I am working on some Gluten Free beer myself and I know others on here have been successful already. Word of advice, any strictly my opinion, New Grist by Lakefront Brewery is GROSS!

My wifes cousin in law says it's ok but not as good as regular beer. Just don't get celiacs disease and you don't need to worry about it.;)

That's interesting. While I don't know the actual quantity of gluten in beer the fact that it is brewed with grains (barley, wheat, etc.) that certainly contain gluten makes this off limits to people with Celiac. I think some one who is gluten intolerant might have different circumstances.

Anyways, back to the OP- I've tried Redbridge and I think it is just ok. After a few sips you will notice some residual sweetness left over in your mouth- I'm not a big fan of that. I am working on some Gluten Free beer myself and I know others on here have been successful already. Word of advice, any strictly my opinion, New Grist by Lakefront Brewery is GROSS!

I like New Grist.

I drank two Red Bridge last night. Very good. More sweet than malty. My first thought was sweet. Then immediately floral with a fruitiness, but not citrus or any identifiable fruit. No metallic taste. Didn't taste like wine.

We have a fantastic gluten free brewery in our area that makes beers you would not even think were gluten free. They use millet a lot as their base grain. Aurochs Brewing.

Back