Recommended Yeast Strains in Recipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Hopper

Reaction score
How important are the yeast recommendations in recipes? Specifically, I want use S-04 in a dry Irish stout recipe that calls for US-05. Any reason why I shouldn't? Do the base malts have anything to do with the recommended yeast strains?

Yeast can definitely affect the flavor of the finished beer. US-05 is a very clean taste, whereas S-04 will give you a little fruitier taste, common in British beers.

It's your beer; do what you want. You may end up with something that's not to your liking. Then again, you may end up with a gold medal winner.

I use wyeast 1278 for pretty much everything. Broad range of ferm temps and broad range of flavor profile.

My attentuation is usually higher than stated in their data sheet.

I do usually ferment lower temp too. My attentuation on a 149 degree mash is around 80-85% @ 57 degree ferment. I do pitch more yeast and make sure it has alot of initial oxygen. Their numbers may come from doing maltier scottish beers with more unferentables, which is what it is marketed as, but this strain is used as a house strain for breweries doing all kinds of different beers.

So to answer your question, yes yeast can be matched to the grains used and malt characters you are after, i wouldnthink 1278 is a good example of that thinking

If you have two fermenters, split the batch, half with S-04 and half with US-05. There should be quite a difference in appearance and taste.

S-04 Will surely take away a lot of the dryness perspective in your stout due to the fruity esters. It may be exceptional and you may love it but it will not match the guidelines for the style. Don't let that stop you from using S-04 but you will need to adjust your expectations. Good luck!

S04 does NOT ferment dry. You need another yeast. Nottingham would work (or S05, second choice IMO). Or a number of other liquid yeasts that finish dry. Such as WLP007. Yes, you will end up with beer with any yeast, but a "DRY" Irish Stout calls out for a "DRY" yeast. S04 is not it. Labelpeelers will get you Notty fairly quick and cheap (always a plus!).

To answer your initial questions: yeast selection is very important. The base malts, hops, yeast selection and water all play a role in forming your beer. If you tweak any one of them, it will change your beer. It’s good advice to find a reputable recipe and follow it exactly, then taste. It should taste at least decent and be representative of the style. Then if you want to tweak it, pick one thing to change, like yeast or grain bill, then nudge it slightly. Messing with a recipe before you’ve tried it can be risky.

Back