recommended yeast for indoor temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inda_bebe

Reaction score
Im planning on making my first traditional mead. I dont have any way of cooling the fermenter so im looking for the best yeast that wouldnt give off any esters at my indoor temp of high 60s to low 70s in the day. at first i was thinking 71b, but ill save that for a melomel. so i decided to use K1.

is there a specific gravity that would help keep esters under control? im shooting for a sweet traditional mead with a abv of 12% to 15%. i have a 6 gal ss brew tech fermenter and hoping for 5 gals. This will be my first mead so im looking for some guidance and dont want to ruin an expensive batch of Meadowfoam honey.

5 gal batch
Target Gravity of 15%
36# meadowfoam honey
3 gals of spring water
K1 yeast / and step feed w/ nutriants through out fermentation.
ambient temp of 70s

Yes, Brays One Month Mead, is a protocol using specific yeast with his staggered nutrients. You can use the protocol for any recipe, but the yeast, amount of nutrients (based on gravity) and use of potassium carbonate remains the same. He uses no sulfites or Sorbate, so If you want lower abv but have it be sweet, then go for target abv gravity to start, stabilize once it’s finished, then sweeten after.

the yeast can start throwing esters above 72/74F. It grows fastest at 68.

Back