Recommendation needed on a quick batch/recipe/yeast cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happydad1689

Reaction score
So I am brewing a Saison on Monday and I have a pale ale in the fermenter that finished up real quick (S-04). So I am thinking of transferring it to a secondary to clean up and pitch something on top....I have never done this, but I don't get many brew days so I thought this would be a good chance

1. Can I just dump it on the yeast cake or should I scoop some trub out....

2. Any suggestions on a U.S-04 recipe? I have brewed a lot of pale ales, wheats, now a Saison for a trial, a few IPA's (not crazy about them) I am looking to use a .5 ounce of Warrior left over from the Saison.....Any suggestions for a brew, preferably something simple.....

Man it's good to be back brewing after a hot summer!!!! :drunk:

So I am brewing a Saison on Monday and I have a pale ale in the fermenter that finished up real quick (S-04). So I am thinking of transferring it to a secondary to clean up and pitch something on top....I have never done this, but I don't get many brew days so I thought this would be a good chance

1. Can I just dump it on the yeast cake or should I scoop some trub out....

2. Any suggestions on a U.S-04 recipe? I have brewed a lot of pale ales, wheats, now a Saison for a trial, a few IPA's (not crazy about them) I am looking to use a .5 ounce of Warrior left over from the Saison.....Any suggestions for a brew, preferably something simple.....

Man it's good to be back brewing after a hot summer!!!! :drunk:

1. How are you gonna scoop trub out of the yeast cake? ;)
Plenty of people just pour a new batch right onto the yeast cake. I personally wouldn't because it's waaayyy over-pitching. There can be just as much adverse effects from that as under-pitching. I would scoop some of it out to where you had about a half-liter or a little more left.

2. Pretty much any english or american ale would work with that yeast. It's not as clean as US-05, but S-04 is still a fairly clean yeast, in my opinion, especially when fermented more like around 65-66 (fermenter temps, not ambient temps). Warrior is a good hop for bittering, in that it gives a clean, smooth bitterness. So again, that can be used in about anything. Maybe try something seasonal since you've only really done very typical styles? Like a porter, or a pumpkin ale, or something like that?

3. Why would the summer months keep you from brewing?

Hi HD. I know people who do just dump a new batch on a yeast cake in the fermenter, but I always dump it out into a sanitized jar and then repitch it into a cleaned and sanitized fermenter. Just seems wrong to reuse a dirty carboy without cleaning it.

If you've got a big yeast cake, you could use it as an excuse to brew a really big beer - like an Imperial Stout or a Barleywine. That's what I tend to do. For example, I've got an American Pale Ale fermenting now with Scottish yeast and will use the yeast cake to ferment a Wee Heavy.

Ok. Good ideas. Thx! Re:summer brewing. I found my temperature was not stable. Our house is hot in the summer and the dryer heats up my brew area...... Just easier in the cooler months.

Right now i have a Rye pale ale going, a wheat beer, will have the saison on Monday and think I'd like to get one other using the yeast from the Rye.

Get some kind of fermentation control, and later you'll thank me for the advice. Even if it is just some kind of ghetto swamp cooler. Look that up. Find some cheap chest freezer or old fridge with a temperature controller, and you'll be brewing year-round.

Get some kind of fermentation control, and later you'll thank me for the advice. Even if it is just some kind of ghetto swamp cooler. Look that up. Find some cheap chest freezer or old fridge with a temperature controller, and you'll be brewing year-round.

Strangely I have a unused chest freezer, I need to get on it. I'd like to lager to do that's another reason

Back