Recirculation pump for ingrediants

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Optx

Reaction score
So I was listening to Dr. Homebrew recently when one of the submitting guest mentioned something interesting. They made a stout and then used a small 1 gallon keg with coconut, cacao and vanilla in a bag and attached the keg to a pump which then connected to a 5 gallon corney keg.
They circulated the beer through the 1 gallon keg and back into the 5 gallon keg. This boosted the amount of contact time and really imparted alot of flavor. I've looked around and haven't seen an example of this online to create my own. From my understanding you could syphon from the out post of the 5 gallon and then into the gas post of the 1 gallon and then out post of the 1 gallon into the gas post of the 5 gallon with the pump in the middle. I'm thinking the change in pressure and pump should keep it moving.

What do you all think?
16050675002833545672594064345201.jpg

You'd definitely want to purge the hell out of such a set-up, otherwise it'd be a pretty effective oxidation machine.

fwiw, I just let time do its thing. I marinade nibs and beans for a week at least in enough dark rum to cover, then dump the whole thing in and let it sit for a week or two...

Cheers!

@day_trippr I completely agree. Both vessels would be well purged before the cycling process. I'm just wondering as to the fesability since I've never seen it before. I'd imagine that it should be possible due to the pressure of the liquid leaving the larger keg and the pump.

Back