Recirculating wort over hop bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugaboo

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Been thinking about adding hole for whirlpooling in my BK so have thought a lot about controling hop residue/trub and seems hop filter bags help a lot.
Problem is getting the same utilization as hops that are throw into the ketlle.

Has anyone simply tied a hop filter bag around their inlet tube and recirculated the boiling wort over the hop bag? Seems like this would drastical increase the hop contact with the wort. Concerned about any unforeseen problems.

I kind of do that. I do the JZ style immersion chiller with a pump. I have modified this to add a large paint straining bad to the return where the wort is pumped back into the chiller. So the bag is in the boil, attached to the chiller when I first add it to the kettle. This is okay, It does catch all the hop pellets, but doesn't do anything to prevent Trub, perhaps I need a finer mesh for that. The trick is to have a large enough bag, that the flow will not be too interrupted, and a bag small enough to not block the ball valve of your kettle.

I kind of do that. I do the JZ style immersion chiller with a pump. I have modified this to add a large paint straining bad to the return where the wort is pumped back into the chiller. So the bag is in the boil, attached to the chiller when I first add it to the kettle. This is okay, It does catch all the hop pellets, but doesn't do anything to prevent Trub, perhaps I need a finer mesh for that. The trick is to have a large enough bag, that the flow will not be too interrupted, and a bag small enough to not block the ball valve of your kettle.

Maybe not the trub as much, but you really don't thing it will increase contact with hops compared to just throwing the bag in?

I'm also concerned about multiple additions this way. I'd have to tie bags on to the whirlpool tube at different times in the boil. I'll probably have a compression fitting on a hole drilled above the water line and the tube will extend down so I could take it off and on. Just bouncing ideas off people here.

Latest posts

Back