Recirculating mash question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeljcarr

Reaction score
Just bought a steelhead 2.0 pump and am using it for the first time. Also my first time trying to recirculate my mash (saw it on Northern Brewer video). I'm using a Blichmann kettle with a false bottom. Initially, i tried to use my homemade Sparge tool (copper spiraled tube with holes drilled in it), but when it wouldn't flow went strait to the hose off the pump discharge. My grainbed continually compresses and then won't flow. What am I doing wrong?

This is common and why a full mash recirc can be a PITA! What I suggest (and do currently) is to only open the valve 30-50% instead of full blast which will reduce the vacuum on the grain and make sure you give a good mix/stir every 10 or so mins (except for the last 10-15 mins of your mash as this is important for clarification and setting your grain bed)

I agree. Restrict the flow and give your mash as stir as indicated. But, when restricting the flow, do it on the discharge side of the pump. If you don't already have a ball valve on the out port of your pump get one. The pump is not self priming and the ideal way to control the flow is on the discharge side.

And do allow the grainbed to settle for at least ten minutes before you turn your pump on. You need a valve on the output of the pump, if you don't have a valve then don't recirculate at all. This is where you restrict your flow. Recirculated mash doesn't need to be a PITA, they are awesome, if you just play by your setups rules :)

Since you're using a BM-kettle go to their website and lookup the recommended flow for your kettle and FB. Use a graded jar you trust and start a timer on your phone and see what your flow is like. Restrict until target flow is reached. Do this before dough in. Then, dough in, let sit for at least ten minutes, start pump. No hassle.

This is common and why a full mash recirc can be a PITA! What I suggest (and do currently) is to only open the valve 30-50% instead of full blast which will reduce the vacuum on the grain and make sure you give a good mix/stir every 10 or so mins (except for the last 10-15 mins of your mash as this is important for clarification and setting your grain bed)

I would speak against the stirring. Everytime you stir you need a 10min shutdown of the pump, or it will clog the FB (given you're operating at the limits of Blichmanns recirculation rates) In a recirculated mash with a BM FB you don't need to stir, the efficiency will be there. Trust me, tried, failed, tried failed and on in goes, tried without stirring, success. Same efficiency, clearer wort, no stuck.

Stir during dough in, let sit, start pump, don't touch.

If you didn't last time, try a really coarse crush. You do not need a fine crush to get quick conversion when recirculating. The finer the crush, the slower you'll have to run your pump to avoid compacting.

And +1 for not stirring. You want to set the grain bed and then just let the wort flow through it. The pump with do a much better job of mixing the wort than your stirring ever will.

I've been miling tighter and tighter after I've learnt that you need to let the mash sit for a while. I think I'm starting to reach the ceiling now. Pretty fine grind, even with loads of intact husks (slow milling). 3L/minute with a 10gal blichmann. I measured the recirculation rate, it has never gone down before when measuring halfway in, like it did today, comparing to water. But with water it was 3L/min and with the mash it was about 2.85-2.9L/min. Meaning it was too high as I could also see that the wort was more cloudy than it "should" be. Temp raises in Herms were 1.xxC/min, which I've never gotten before, just almost. Had a mash thickness of about 5.3 l/kg. 2.8L/min gives me a beautiful clear wort. It's small margins.

rice hulls wont hurt either man. if im using any wheat im throwing a full pound of those basterds in there. 2 pounds if im mashing with pumpkin! :D

Conditioning your grain (spraying with water) before crushing really helps as well. It keeps a lot more grain husks intact.

Just bought a steelhead 2.0 pump and am using it for the first time. Also my first time trying to recirculate my mash (saw it on Northern Brewer video). I'm using a Blichmann kettle with a false bottom. Initially, i tried to use my homemade Sparge tool (copper spiraled tube with holes drilled in it), but when it wouldn't flow went strait to the hose off the pump discharge. My grainbed continually compresses and then won't flow. What am I doing wrong?
I watched that video with Will Wheaton as well, assuming that's the one.. Probably my favorite brew video yet. I designed my system exactly like that and working great. You need a ball valve on the discharge side of pump, I have that same sparge arm and works awesome, worth $60. Limit the flow from the discharge and you won't get a stuck grain bed anymore.

My biggest issue is regulating mash temp. I'm looking into a RIMS tube currently to solve that issue, it's almost impossible to keep the temp within 1 or 2 degrees of target mash temp.

IMG_2208.jpg

Latest posts

Back