Recirculating Hot Wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jboggeye

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm about to get a pump, and either use the Jamil whirlpool method, or get a plate chiller.

Either way, I'm going to need to recirculate wort.

1. What is the best way to secure the tubing going from the pump back to the Kettle?
2. What are the safety issues I should be aware of if recirculating hot wort?

Thanks!

1. Get a second port welded in for a tangental inlet and use your standard qucik disconnects.

2. Boiling sugarwater hurts like hell and sticks like napalm.

Hi all, I'm about to get a pump, and either use the Jamil whirlpool method, or get a plate chiller.

Either way, I'm going to need to recirculate wort.

1. What is the best way to secure the tubing going from the pump back to the Kettle?
2. What are the safety issues I should be aware of if recirculating hot wort?

Thanks!

1. Depends on which cooling method you'll be using:
I use an IC with a whirlpool arm so I go from the outlet of the pump to a quick connect on my whirlpool arm inlet. So essentially you're whirlpooling and cooling at the same time.
If you go with a plate chiller they're separate processes. You'll whirlpool, using some type of angled fitting (quick connect on the outside and compression fitting with bent tube inside), then cool through your chiller (assuming you only need one pass through you're plate chiller to get to pitching temps).
2. Make sure you close valves before disconnecting the hoses attached to them :drunk:

thanks for the responses. I'm trying to get a feel for how all this works.

Let's assume I'm going with the plate chiller. I would:

BK > Pump > Chiller > BK to Sanitize, then:
BK > Pump > Chiller > Fermenter or settling tank...

Are there other alternatives to the tangental inlet? if not, how would people recommend getting the hot wort back to the BK safely?
Would a hole in the Kettle Lid be a good option?
What areas would necessitate QD?

sorry for all the questions, I'm not very technical and never really needed to figure this out...

I'd like to see a few photos of these set-ups. My eBiab rig is almost ready for assembly and I am trying to nail down this portion of the process. I have an IC and a plate chiller; a pump and a few ports welded into a keggle.

Apologies for the hi-jack.

I use a keg for a brew kettle, so doing the following may not work with your set up.

I took a male disconnect, and drilled a hole through my upper keg skirt and threaded the quick disconnect into a copper female threaded piece, soldered some 1/2" pipe down into the kettle and added an elbow to get a circular motion. It will get 15 gallons of hot wort into rotation. I can provide a picture when I get home if you are interested.

When all else fails, hook the output hose to a piece of pipe and zip tie it to the handle of your pot.

MM, ok, I get the idea. I'll explore the idea of a pipe fitting nicely over my BK. I use whole leaf hops, so not too worried about getting a whirlpool.

where do I need to make sure I have quick disconnects?

Here's my quick plan:

BK valve + tubing > pump > valve + tubing + Plate Chiller > tubing + QD > QD + copper pipe in BK.
After recirculating, disconnect the pipe disconnect and move tubing to fermenter.

Does this sound OK? or am I missing something?

That's pretty much it. I use an immersion chiller which is why I try to get a whirlpool going, won't really need it for a plate chiller. Will most likely need some sort of strainer I would guess due to leaf hops

Back