Reciprocal Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AcreBrewer

Reaction score
Im new to the New England style IPA's. I brewed my first clone of substance recently. Its a good IPA but not really a NEIPA. Its a fascinating style to brew. My favorite thou is Bissell brothers Reciprocal. I want to brew it this weekend. Anyone have a good clone recipe for it? I have some ideas but would take suggestions.

Im new to the New England style IPA's. I brewed my first clone of substance recently. Its a good IPA but not really a NEIPA. Its a fascinating style to brew. My favorite thou is Bissell brothers Reciprocal. I want to brew it this weekend. Anyone have a good clone recipe for it? I have some ideas but would take suggestions.

I believe they list the grainbill, hops, ABV and OG on their website: http://www.bissellbrothers.com/reciprocal/

You can go from there and build the water. I live in Europe, so no NEIPAs for me, but I would say that the info you get from the website is enough to start experimenting.

I was not able to find any clone or attempt to clone this specific beer.

OG is 1.067 and ABV is 7.3%, which means the FG would be around 1.011-1.012.

OK, thanks. I saw that and have started to build the recipe. Using a few bits from other hazy NE style's Double IPA's. Plus getting the Australian hops Ella, Summer & esp Vic Summer seems like its going to be tricky. And for me being a recent new comer to this style is trying figure out a hope schedule. I think an oz or 2 of each at flame out, 2 more oz's each at 160 stirring every 5 min or so. Then some combo at 4 - 5 days and finally another batch just before cold crashing.

Subbed. Been looking for a Reciprocal clone also, as it is one of my favs from the NE. I think your hop schedule sounds like a good start.

So I received a request to brew an NE IPA - specifically something Bissell Brothers inspired. I really like Reciprocal when I had it this past summer, so I think I will use that as a starting point. Below is what I have come up with so far based on the recipe and some of the stuff I have on hand. Not familiar with some of these hops so kinda wondering if anyone had an comments / suggestions on my draft recipe:

OG : 1.067
FG : 1.013
ABV : 7.15
SRM : 5.2
IBU : 65
Brewhouse Efficiency : 68%

7 lb 2-Row 45.2%
5 lb Pilsner 32.3%
2 lb Wheat Malt 12.9%
0.75 lb Flaked Oats 4.8%
4 oz Carastan (30/37)1.6%
0.5 lb Dextrose 3.2%

0.8 oz Columbus 60 min
1 oz Columbus 5 min
1 oz Vic Secret Whirlpool
1 oz Exp Stonefruit Whirlpool
3 oz Ella Dry Hop
2 oz Vic Secret Dry Hop
2 oz Exp Stonefruit Dry Hop

Yeast : WLP090

I also have Galaxy and others hops available, but I was kind of looking to showcase the Ella / Vic Secret / Exp Stonefruit and while I love Galazy, it can overpower. Thoughts?

I think they might use 1318 in their beers, but was thinking WLP090 this time around since I usually use either wlp007 or conan. Want to try something different that will stay out of the way of the hops.

Not looking to clone it per se - but more of an beer that is inspired by Reciprocal.

I would not use WLP090 for a NEIPA or a NEIPA inspired beer. Too attenuating and will result in a very dry beer. You might as well do a regular IPA, which this yeast will achieve due to its attenuation and clean profile.

The Carastan and the Corn are kinda misplaced in that recipe and will contribue nothing good, in my opinion.

Ella and Vic Secret are really, really great hops I got to use them once and will use more of, as soon as I get my hands on some more. The Stonefruit one I do not know.

The IBUs seem a bit aggresive, but nothing too concerning, if you go higher on the chloride.

If you want to keep the colour light and bright, I would simply go with Pilsner, Flaked wheat and Flaked oats. Maybe 10-15% each of the flaked.

I would not use WLP090 for a NEIPA or a NEIPA inspired beer. Too attenuating and will result in a very dry beer. You might as well do a regular IPA, which this yeast will achieve due to its attenuation and clean profile.

The Carastan and the Corn are kinda misplaced in that recipe and will contribue nothing good, in my opinion.

Ella and Vic Secret are really, really great hops I got to use them once and will use more of, as soon as I get my hands on some more. The Stonefruit one I do not know.

The IBUs seem a bit aggresive, but nothing too concerning, if you go higher on the chloride.

If you want to keep the colour light and bright, I would simply go with Pilsner, Flaked wheat and Flaked oats. Maybe 10-15% each of the flaked.

Oops - the corn is supposed to be dextrose / corn sugar. I have 8oz each of the Ella and Vic Secret so excited to get a couple good hoppy beers made with them.

Torn on the yeast to use -- maybe I will give 1318 another try. One thing that confused me a bit when look at the specs on Bissell brothers website - they are definitely appear to using a higher attenuating yeast in this beer based on the specs. Maybe my 1318 assumption is incorrect?

Wyeast 1318 attenuates well, especially if you mash low.

The NEIPA I made with 1318, went from 1.060 to 1.013 in 4 days and that was with a 154.4F ( 68C ) mash... So I think you will be fine with 1318, but Conan is known to be a tad more attenuative.

7 lb 2-Row 45.2%
5 lb Pilsner 32.3%
2 lb Wheat Malt 12.9%
0.75 lb Flaked Oats 4.8%
4 oz Carastan (30/37)1.6%
0.5 lb Dextrose 3.2%

Not looking to clone it per se - but more of an beer that is inspired by Reciprocal.

The recipe from the website only has 4 malts, looks like mostly Pilsner, but I'll suspect it has more wheat and oats than your recipe above.
I'd suggest going with an established NE IPA Recipe, plug in the hops they use then brew a few times to tweak it.
I checked out their website, looks interesting, but also looks like they're not selling outside of Maine and you have to wait in long lines to buy cans of their beer, so I guess the only way to get some is to brew my own.
Please post your results.
The following is from their website:

AN ALL AUSTRALIAN DOUBLE DRY HOPPED DOUBLE IPA

HOPS: ELLA, SUMMER, VIC SECRET

MALTS: 2-ROW PILSNER, MALTED WHEAT, FLAKED OATS, CARASTAN

ABV: 7.3% OG: 1.067

I brewed mine Friday. Reciprocal is my favorite IPA, probably in my top 5 beers all-time too. According to Untappd it has 80 IBUs, that might help somewhat.

And here it is. Delicious. The aroma is spot on (if I remember the original correctly). The flavor is similar but not quite there. Also the mouthfeel is off, the differences may be due to their yeast. I'm still very happy with it.

Attachments

• Reciprocal clone.jpg
    Reciprocal clone.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 195
And here it is. Delicious. The aroma is spot on (if I remember the original correctly). The flavor is similar but not quite there. Also the mouthfeel is off, the differences may be due to their yeast. I'm still very happy with it.

What yeast did you use? Curious also about the water treatment and recipe as well if you don't mind posting it.

• 2-Row at 73%
  • Wheat at 18%
  • Carastan at 3%
  • Flaked Oats at 6%
I used hop extract for bitterness. Then divided 12oz of Ella, Vic and Summer. I added them at whirlpool and dry hop. I always use 1318 for NEIPAs but this time I used Imperial's Dry Hop.

I would like to try, care to share the recipe you used?

Bissell Brothers uses 1272, or WLP051, BRY-97, Imperial Infependence for their beers. It has similar attributes to 1318 in that if dry hopped even during the last bit of fermentation it will remain hazy. And to me it produces a much better beer than 1318.

Bissel IPAs have such an awesome, unique mouthfeel. I think that's going to be the hardest part about cloning this beer.

Back