[?] recipes to brew as a beginner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Artanis

Reaction score
I brewed for a while in my early 20s, but at that age i brewed with the purpose of pushing ABV per bottle. Just turned 32 and decided to dust off the old brewery and start brewing again.

SO i just bottled my first 5 gal in 9 years, (Full Sail clone.)I am partial to amber ales.

I have wanted to start again for a while. So i am wondering if there is a list of different recipes to attempt to strengthen my brewing chops. Ultimately I'm sure that the only real answer to my post will be just to keep brewing, but i still wanted to ask.

------> 2 THE POINT <--------

So basically i'll be brewing at least once every other month and am asking for a list, maybe ten recipes, to broaden my brewing chops.

A beginners list of Brewing recipes.
Thanks in advance.

Just go to the Recipe section and pick something you are interested in, and then look at the recipe to see if it doesn't feel to difficult to do.

C-Rider said:
Just go to the Recipe section and pick something you are interested in, and then look at the recipe to see if it doesn't feel to difficult to do.

This^

Start with beers that you like.
I recommend centennial blonde ale

Also cream of three crops

Basic pale ale

See what you like and then go from there. When I started, I chose to make basic recipes of several styles and came to better understand the ingredients and how they influence taste and profile of each beer.

Jamil Zanasheff has a couple of great amber ales in his Brewing Classical Styles book. One is simply named American Amber. It is a nice balanced easy to drink ale. I really enjoyed it. The other is West Coast Blaster, a bigger and hoppier version that is a California Red variant of the amber ale style. Another great big hoppy amber is his Evil Twin. The latter two are among my favorite ales. I always have one or the other on tap and make sure that I have enough in the pipeline.

In his BYO atricle on American ambers, Jamil includes recipes for the first one I mentioned. He calls it Amber Waves, but it is virtually identical. He also includes the recipe for West Coast Blaster. You can easily find several variants of Evil Twin with a google search. Here is the link to the BYO article.

http://byo.com/stories/item/126-american-amber-style-profile

Back