recipes for first all grain brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon112

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Does anyone have a recipe that I can use for my first all grain brew? i have a few books on the subject but a little feedback on how it turns out is always better in my eyes.

Thanks

jon

Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde

Light colored, delicious recipe.
Very easy to mash and sparge.
Small grain bill.
Quick ferment.
4 hop additions, but nothing crazy.

Hard to think of a better maiden voyage into all grain.

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale was my first.

Very easy to brew and it results in a nice, hoppy ale. I'm currently tweaking it to get more citrus character, but the base recipe is a great first start.

I would go with a simple pale ale recipe. Lots of easily converted base malt, only a little crystal or caramel. You're learning a new process, why make it complicated the first time?

The link doesnt work, but sounds good. can you post the recipe or the link again

Small grain bill.
Quick ferment.

Small grain bill.
Quick ferment.

+10000

Still one of my all time favs. Extremely easy, ferments quickly and is very flavorful. Just make sure you keep the mash temp on the lower side to keep it nice and dry and crisp.

Here is a working link: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/centennial-blonde-simple-4-all-grain-5-10-gall-42841/

IMG_1740.jpg

John

I'll add another +1 for Edwort's Haus pale ale, though this thread has somehow convinced me to brew the centennial blonde for my next brew which was to be another batch of my take on the Haus Pale.

I have no doubt that the beer(s) mentioned in this thread are great, and you should brew them up, but I would suggest also coming up with a simple recipe and experimenting with it from time to time.

This would give you a chance to experiment with various brewing techniques and see the effects from batch to batch.

Some base malt, 1 or 2 specialty grains, and 1 or 2 types of hops is a great base to work from. The goal is to become familiar with a basic recipe (that also happens to taste great and could become your "house special"), master it, and be able to compare outcomes from batch to batch. This includes everything from brewing efficiency, attenuation, carbonation levels, the quality of the grain crush, etc etc... - and what effects those variables have on the final outcome.

Maybe instead of 1/2lb of crystal60, you decide to try Biscuit instead.. what would that be like? You mashed at 150 last time, what if you mashed at 155 instead? Would you notice anything, or would it be dramatic to your palate? Maybe switch from citrusy hops to spicy ones. Is the gravity higher by sparging for 50 minutes instead of 20 minutes? So many fun experiments to do..

The point is that you should certainly use recipes and get ideas from others, but don't forget to experiment and try stuff out for yourself. Often times you'll find when looking at certain recipes, that you would like it better if you adjusted it this way or that.

I have no doubt that the beer(s) mentioned in this thread are great, and you should brew them up, but I would suggest also coming up with a simple recipe and experimenting with it from time to time.

This would give you a chance to experiment with various brewing techniques and see the effects from batch to batch.

The point is that you should certainly use recipes and get ideas from others, but don't forget to experiment and try stuff out for yourself. Often times you'll find when looking at certain recipes, that you would like it better if you adjusted it this way or that.

I absolutely agree that experimentation is important in figuring out brewing. This is partly why I recommend EdWort's Haus pale, just 8lb 2 row, 2lbs Vienna, 0.5lbs crystal 10, and nothing but cascades for hops. Maybe one the second brew, you swap out the Vienna for some Munich, maybe you use crystal 60 instead of the crystal 10, or maris otter instead of the 2 row, change up the hops , yeast, etc.

It seems to me it is important to make good beer while experimenting, and a good proven starting recipe can help. Otherwise, it is easy to get discouraged and blame your brewing technique for tastes you aren't happy with, when a poor recipe may be to blame.

I just ordered ingredients to do my first all grain. It will be a fat tire clone.

Those two mentioned earlier both sound easy and fun to brew...and not to mention they sound tasty.

I think you should brew what you want. Recipe with a lot of base malts will be easy to convert but that doesn't mean a recipe with some specialty wont be easy too

I absolutely agree that experimentation is important in figuring out brewing. This is partly why I recommend EdWort's Haus pale, just 8lb 2 row, 2lbs Vienna, 0.5lbs crystal 10, and nothing but cascades for hops. Maybe one the second brew, you swap out the Vienna for some Munich, maybe you use crystal 60 instead of the crystal 10, or maris otter instead of the 2 row, change up the hops , yeast, etc.

It seems to me it is important to make good beer while experimenting, and a good proven starting recipe can help. Otherwise, it is easy to get discouraged and blame your brewing technique for tastes you aren't happy with, when a poor recipe may be to blame.

Honestly, I respectfully disagree.

For the first few batches, I think it is prudent to stick to a well known recipe where the expected results are clearly documented. Once you start hitting #s fairly consistently, then I say branch out and try some homemade recipes.

Just my 2 cents.

John

For the first few batches, I think it is prudent to stick to a well known recipe where the expected results are clearly documented. Once you start hitting #s fairly consistently, then I say branch out and try some homemade recipes.

Just my 2 cents.

John

+1. The hardest thing to do in brewing is to make the exact same beer twice. Once you can do that, THEN try some experimental changes. It's more important to perfect your process with proven recipes in the beginning.

Just my 2 cents.

John

Actually, I agree with you more than my last post after rereading it. Maybe I should have said future brews instead of the second one. You can't really experiment well if you don't have a solid (ie: consistent) control to compare it to.

9lbs Pale Malt
.25lbs Amber Malt
.25lbs Honey Malt

.5oz Amarillo 60 mins
.5oz Amarillo 15 mins

Mash 149
Sparge 170

Expected OG 1.054 (Assuming 74% efficiency)
Expected FG 1.010

Ferment at about 66.

US-05 Yeast

This recipe was extremely flavorful for me and the hops were well rounded by the honey malt. Not overly bitter. I believe in the recipe because it's one of the only ones I repeat. The other is my IPA.

You can make ANY beer you want! I'd stick with a solid recipe, and no "fancy stuff" like decoctions, but honestly in AG the recipe doesn't really matter. All of the grains go in the mash together, so even a recipe with 5 or 6 different grains is no different procedure-wise than a recipe with only two grains.

I'd probably go the other way and go with a beer that "hides" flaws well- like a stout. You really can't screw up a stout much, as the pH issues will not be as noticeable and less likely to be a problem, and the roasty flavors will help hide any tannins or other off-flavors.

I'd say to pick a beer with an OG of between 1.040 and 1.065, just to avoid any water volume issues, but pick a style you want to do. You can do a California common, an American amber, an IPA, APA, stout, etc. Take a look at our recipe database and see what sounds great to you!

Thanks for the replies. I think I will take a look around and see what I like, but if the beers recommended have good results then I will stick to one of them I think.

At this point I want a few all grain brews under my belt before I screw around too much, but once I am there I will change things up to see how it changes the beer.

I originally wanted to do a maple syrup fall beer, but might be a little too advanced at this point.

Thanks for the replies. I think I will take a look around and see what I like, but if the beers recommended have good results then I will stick to one of them I think.

At this point I want a few all grain brews under my belt before I screw around too much, but once I am there I will change things up to see how it changes the beer.

I originally wanted to do a maple syrup fall beer, but might be a little too advanced at this point.

You may want to take a look at BM's OktoberFAST: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f63/biermunchers-oktoberfast-ale-ag-39021/

If you like fall beers this one is a winner! I brewed this a 2 months ago and it is just awesome. It is pretty straight forward with 7 common grains and only 1 type of hop. He does suggest a 90 minute boil and it does take a little longer to ferment out though (if you have patience). Also note 2 other things if you decide to do this one:

1. His recipe allows for 67% efficiency which may be good for you as this is your first AG batch.
2. The recipe in the first post is for a 11.25 gallon batch. If you plan on a 5.5 gallon batch, you will need to scale the recipe back. Just ask and I can help you with that.

John

I say a nice, easy Pale Ale. Shoot for an OG between 1.045 and 1.050 or so. And throw in a pound of something you couldn't use before, like Munich.

You can make ANY beer you want! I'd stick with a solid recipe, and no "fancy stuff" like decoctions, but honestly in AG the recipe doesn't really matter. All of the grains go in the mash together, so even a recipe with 5 or 6 different grains is no different procedure-wise than a recipe with only two grains.

I kinda think decoction actually makes AG brewing go a lot smoother as a noob. You've got 2-3 chances to hit the right temp, rather than just 1.

Latest posts

Back