Recipes for Ersatz Pilsen Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver_Is_Money

Larry Sayre, Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
Reaction score
Here's mine. Any other recipes out there for a knock-off Pilsen water?

Pilsen Water (Ersatz).png

Due to the high pH that results from the Pickling Lime I wouldn't recommend drinking it, but it should be fine for attempting a decoction method Czech Pilsner. Pickling Lime was chosen over Calcium Carbonate due to the inherent difficulty in getting Calcium Carbonate to dissolve (whereby much to most of it merely drops out and does not contribute ions as anticipated).

With levels so low I doubt there would be any noticeable difference between this water and straight RO water.
When I brew my double-decoction Urquell clone (just finished enjoying a glass of it at lunch) I just use RO water with the obligatory 50 mg/l of Ca addess exlusiveli as CaCl2.

Just remember, the water profiles popularly reported will have nothing to do with actual Pilsen brewing waters. There are many sources available there as everywhere, surface waters, and shallow and deep bore wells. Thausing reported analyses of a number of actual Pilsen *brewing* waters as sourced at the turn of the 20th century. After converting to modern units of analysis, none particularly closely resembles any of today's popularly cited profiles, some are much more highly mineralized, and we must note that all will have been somehow amended by the brewers.

Back