Recipe With Fresh Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmfurbee

Reaction score
I had a great hops yield this year and was hoping to find a bare-bones recipe consisting primarily of canned malt and the hops.

They're Cascade hops; I pulled from the vines and compacted into freezer bags, and stored in the freezer. In the past, I've gotten cheaper "basic" extract kits that consisted of canned malt, dried malt and hop pellets. I'm looking for something similar (or as simple as possible).

Nothing too fancy, just want a drinkable beer that'll be kegged.

Thanks again!

Make a SMaSH (Single Malt and Single Hop) then. Get some pilsner malt and figure out your hop additions with what you have and call it a day. Northern Brewer has one with Simcoe hops and pilsner malt. That one I brewed twice, the second time I added more late addition hops and doubled the dry hops.

Did you dry the hops before you froze them? If not, you may just have a vegetal mess there. Either use them fresh (not frozen), and 6 times the normal quantity (since drying them removes water weight), or dry them and use as normal.

I have not been successful at freezing fresh hops. They will probably have a very funky aroma when you open them. Good luck!

And if you have a source for fresh hops, they are probably just about ready to harvest, depending on where you are. I would say go get new ones. No more than one day from picking to boil, is what I go by, and a fairly tightly packed half gallon pitcher = about one ounce of pellets. But that's just my rule.

Back