Recipe/Style Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrsdws

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed my first true lager yesterday....a pretty simple American Lager kind of aimed toward Yuengling Lager. All went well and she is happily fermenting at 55F in temp controlled fridge.

Looking ahead here, I want to brew something and pitch onto this lager yeast cake after I rack off of it.

What styles of beer should I can I consider? There may be some I haven't tried so this gives me time to go buy it and try it before brewing it.

I've had one suggestion of a dunkel perhaps?

What else would work on this yeast cake?

Well you didn't say what strain you used, but in general, most lager strains are more similar to each other than ale strains by far. You can (pretty much) use one lager strain for all lagers, and get acceptable results. Just make sure the attenuation is in range for the style you want to brew, and adjust accordingly.

As for dark lagers, Dunkels are super delicious. So are dunkel bocks. Schwarzbiers are a tad more dark roasty and less munich-y. A traditional baltic porter is rarely brewed, and its a shame. As are czech dark lagers. You have options.

Sorry...I pitched Wyeast 2035 American Lager Yeast stepped up several times for this lager. I thought about looking for something kinda like Leinenkugel Creamy Dark. I know it's not a big beer...but should fit the style and I like it. I'm going to try some dunkels to see if I like them.

Latest posts

Back